What is a fish that you bought that wasn’t worth it in the end?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panther grouper- grew quickly and colors fade.

Mystery wrasse- mean

Potter's angel x2- dropped dead at 3-4 months

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starry blenny, it sure don't eat algae, should've waited and got a lawnmower.

Salted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine aren’t fish they are inverts.

both blood shrimp and coral banded shrimp never and I mean never come out!!! That was a waste of $100
Quite the opposite here. My blood and cleaner shrimp are always out. They both come running when it’s feeding time and with both run right up my fingers.
Now on topic, my McCoskers wrasse. It went in to the tank three weeks ago, it went straight into the sand and I’ve yet to see it. My opinion might change when it finally decides to come out.

MondoPotato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helfrichi firefish. He was the first fish in the tank. He had the tank to himself for over a year. Since day one he hides all day long in his cave except when it's time to eat. Won't swim around for food but hides under a rock shelf that is one inch off of the sand waiting for the food to come near his month.
My two are always out and swimming around. They’re amazing little fish!

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man won't agree with this but... Gem tang. Don't get me wrong it's a beautiful fish and I liked mine, but, it's also like $6-700. Just not worth it.

BlackGoldReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA mandarin, I just wasnt able to keep it alive.
In a bigger tank I may try again someday
I have had and Ora Madaron for over a year. The key don’t add them until your tank is infested with pods. I waited almost a year before added mine. I also add pods every two months to keep the number up. This is by far my favorite fish in my tank.

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite the opposite here. My blood and cleaner shrimp are always out. They both come running when it’s feeding time and with both run right up my fingers.
Now on topic, my McCoskers wrasse. It went in to the tank three weeks ago, it went straight into the sand and I’ve yet to see it. My opinion might change when it finally decides to come out.
Give the wrasse time. Female Melanurus went in, male was a bit too excited to see her and she dove into the sand bed - for 47 days we did not see her. Now she is out and about and they get along just fine.

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower blenny.
In my QT tank (which i blasted with light to grow algae for him) he ate hair algae like a champ. In my tank he shredded my favourite acans, and tore up a new trachy and deshy.
I got him out before he killed anything fully. But was really bummed out. He didnt even eat algae in the tank lol, but ate it as soon as he was back in the qt.

Worst part was, he looked me directly in the eyes while he was tearing my new deshy.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Assessor Basslet, the guy never comes out.
A lot depends on how active other tankmates are. Since they're normal habitat is overhangs, caves and crevices they can be a little skittish in a tank with a lot of 'big' or fast movement. Small casual, laid-back dither fish may help it feel more confident...

Mine was out most of the day when it was in my 24g with a fang blenny, tailspot blenny and pink-streaked wrasse. if the fang blenny got a little boss it would hide for a while then come back out.

When I moved it and the other fish into my 65g ... which also had anthias, more fang blennies and a few fairy wrasses it was out hovering or doing loops beneath my overflow weir all day long. Also noticed my pink-streaked was much braver and out in open water MUCH more in the bigger tank.

But, when I moved ... and lost the pink-streaked during the move. The assessor became much more reclusive.

Recently, I added a yellow-banded pymgy wrasse and ... lo and behold ... the assessor is out much more again.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dispar anthias, bought a total of 15. Got them all thru qt and into display. Couple got stuck to the guard on my mp 10’s. Couple just died. Slowly they died. I fed calanus heavily and they consumed it lustily and grew. Then a couple turned male and one ended up getting bullied by the other. Then my biggest one got picked on by my cleaner shrimp and it got infection and died. Eventually I had 3 and one was male. A female just withered away and died. Now after 2 and a half years I have one female that hides under a rock and the male is nowhere to be seen. My guess is the Redhead Solon wrasse is bullying them. Up to a couple weeks ago they were fine. Lovely fish that schoaled for me while the group was big but just do not last. I will miss them but no more.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six line wrasse .
Tried them twice after reading they are active
But they have proved to be more of a shy hide in the rocks and never come out .
I love mine. Always zipping around and eyeballing everything. Such a character. My favorite fish.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regret getting the tiger pistol and watchman combo. Took them literally 5 minutes to pair up and about as much time to rearrange all the sand and bury some of the corals alive. Sure, fun to watch but the mess they make...

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd always wanted a golden angle, and he was to b our angle choI've in the new build, but after 4 which died witch all had died within 48 hrs. I'm hoping after a long wait I'll succeed but only trying once more in a few years

Back