What is a fish that you bought that wasn’t worth it in the end?

BobbyCline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish all good...

Debelius Reef Lobster is a bum. Saw it when I added to the tank for 15 seconds. Never been seen since.

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably my Colin’s Angel. It was a beautiful fish but I felt terrible when I died due to not eating. One that should probably stay in the ocean
get one captive-bred, I lost a Colin's to disease in my QT and plan on buying my next one captive-bred so I can be sure it doesn't have any complications.

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my invertebrates before I had any coral. I had a four head hammer and each head was removed the last four days. My guess is my new emerald crab who doesn’t come out during the day during feeding time. But checked on my tank tonight and the peppermint shrimp were away from their cave being sus. Or could be my dwarf hermits who have never been by the corals and are active during the day
Fish wise I bought a yellow watchman and pistol shrimp. Had a nice cave set up for several days and was eating then vanished. Either died or is hiding not seen. Won’t be getting another one

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get one captive-bred, I lost a Colin's to disease in my QT and plan on buying my next one captive-bred so I can be sure it doesn't have any complications.
Captive bred is the way to go. There’s likely a much higher success rate too. Eventually I’m going to set up a tank in the 60-120 gallon range and I’d like to get a captive bred pair of Venustus Angels

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had and Ora Madaron for over a year. The key don’t add them until your tank is infested with pods. I waited almost a year before added mine. I also add pods every two months to keep the number up. This is by far my favorite fish in my tank.
I do love them, I had plenty of pods but it still wasn't enough. I think my clowns ate most of them.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my invertebrates before I had any coral. I had a four head hammer and each head was removed the last four days. My guess is my new emerald crab who doesn’t come out during the day during feeding time. But checked on my tank tonight and the peppermint shrimp were away from their cave being sus. Or could be my dwarf hermits who have never been by the corals and are active during the day
Fish wise I bought a yellow watchman and pistol shrimp. Had a nice cave set up for several days and was eating then vanished. Either died or is hiding not seen. Won’t be getting another one
Imposter amogus shrimp

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Diamond Goby, but in honesty its a catch-22 with this one. He 100% maintains my sand spotless but on the other hand its a nightmare with the corals to the point that I have to put all corals on about 3-4 frag squares high in order to keep them safe otherwise he just covers everything up :(

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp took out 4 hammer corals before we caught and removed them. My last two hammers haven't yet recovered either, but its not been quite 2 weeks since peppermints were removed from display tank. Emerald crab suspected of eating 2 fish but FAST and trap hasn't yet worked :( Good luck to you!

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CORAL BEAUTY.... Love the look of it. Nasty nasty nasty fish. Found out it was a murderer. Back to the store it went. Since it left all the other fish are active. Never will I ever have another dwarf Angel...

Maybe a big one when I get that 220 I've had my eye on

Powertool-2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had peppermint shrimp that I highly suspected where responsible for eating several euphilia species. I wasn't feeding the tank a whole lot at the time either though. I also had an emerald crab as well, but I'm pretty sure I caught the peppermint shrimp in the act.

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp took out 4 hammer corals before we caught and removed them. My last two hammers haven't yet recovered either, but its not been quite 2 weeks since peppermints were removed from display tank. Emerald crab suspected of eating 2 fish but FAST and trap hasn't yet worked :( Good luck to you!
The shrimp were over by the hammers side when I saw them. I wonder why they were fine for two months and maybe now going after them. They are well fed also

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few royal grammas over the years, they hid in the rocks and never saw them again after putting in my DT.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp were over by the hammers side when I saw them. I wonder why they were fine for two months and maybe now going after them. They are well fed also
My shrimp left my hammers alone for months too... not sure what changed... maybe one took a tiny accidental nibble when trying for actual food, then said "YUM" and feast of hammers was on!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back