What is a Fish That You Love but No One Talks About

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chalk Bass is hands down underrated. Peaceful, reef safe, small, can be kept in groups, and a unique color pattern yet I rarely see them in stores or people even mentioning them!

416A186F-3BC5-4AC7-97FC-BE8D1E29046F.jpeg

My LFS has these all the time. The colors are somewhat muted, but low key unique in the right lighting. Are they active swimmers like damsels?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had six in my previous display. Very cool fish especially how they find a place to lay in for sleeping, then return to it every night. Mine mostly used the magnetic bases of the jebao gyres. Each having its chosen spot.
Found out about the sleeping last night…
It was wedged upside down between the nem guard and the glass and almost gave me a heart attack.
Swimming around like nothing ever happened this morning.
Blennies are weird.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found out about the sleeping last night…
It was wedged upside down between the nem guard and the glass and almost gave me a heart attack.
Swimming around like nothing ever happened this morning.
Blennies are weird.
You’re telling me. Yk where and how my Midas was sleeping? He was flopped on his side curved/curled, like when the workers at Costco hold a salmon before they put it in the styrofoam plastic covered carton, wedged between the rocks under the overflow. That made my face pale.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only place I've seen offer to sell these was MarinefishEZ, which I'm pretty sure is a scam website so...
Fascinating…they say it’s not reef safe and recommended food is silversides, shrimp, and squid. I’d be really curious

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dotty backs are my nightmare. had a royal dotty back that killed literally everything introduced after it. had to take my aqua scape apart to get it out.
Yeah they can be mean.. my orchid was and is super friendly but yeah, they can be pricks. I still do love them

AnubisCruger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to see what is a fish that you love that people don't normally talk about that often. Maybe is rare breed of fish, or just one you are very passionate about that no one seems to really talk much about.
I really like Rhincodon typus, and no one talks about them....

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chalk Bass is hands down underrated. Peaceful, reef safe, small, can be kept in groups, and a unique color pattern yet I rarely see them in stores or people even mentioning them!

416A186F-3BC5-4AC7-97FC-BE8D1E29046F.jpeg
The color is really unique on that fish that's for sure. I don't think I have ever seen that fish either!!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemonpeel, Bicolor aren’t talked about much because this is a reef forum. If more people here had FOWLRs or set up FOWLRs I’m sure they’d be a lot more frequently discussed, or if they didn’t have their reputation. Still, I know a few users who put them in full mixed reefs. @OrionN has a Bicolor trio, @cancun has a Lemonpeel.

Blue-Line Angels (C. Septentrionalis) are one of my faves. Asfur Angels too.

Hogfishes, most people are into Fairies and Flashers and Halichoeres and Leopards. I find the non-Fairies / Flashers to be the coolest wrasses.

More Clowns than your standard Percula / Ocellaris.

Assessors, Liopropoma.

Latz Clowns are awesome.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before but I think the Omani Clownfish are stunning. I would love a pair in my 4’ tank but my Black Photon would likely disagree.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep us updated.
I will. I have yet to see any specific care requirements for it so I'm just trying to broadcast feed a variety of foods and do a couple night feeds as I think it may be nocturnal. It is very shy and cryptic even though it is the longest fish in a very peaceful tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back