What is a Fish That You Love but No One Talks About

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will. I have yet to see any specific care requirements for it so I'm just trying to broadcast feed a variety of foods and do a couple night feeds as I think it may be nocturnal. It is very shy and cryptic even though it is the longest fish in a very peaceful tank.
I saw them for sale last December. After doing a lot of research, I was ready to buy them but they got sold that morning. Here is what I found. They are not reef fish, but found on sand flats. They hover, tail down, over a burrow in the sand. When spooked, they go hyper fast back into the burrow. Maybe PVC in the sand may make them comfortable? They are plankton eaters that should be fed often. I am soooo jealous.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it hide all the time? I want one, but I heard you never see them.
I got it and it was small, so it hid a lot when small, it’s still not full grown but the bigger it gets the more it comes out. The 2 full size ones I’ve seen in other reefs were always out. They’ll usually poke their head or tail out of a cave like a moray eel. They mimic snowflake morays.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw them for sale last December. After doing a lot of research, I was ready to buy them but they got sold that morning. Here is what I found. They are not reef fish, but found on sand flats. They hover, tail down, over a burrow in the sand. When spooked, they go hyper fast back into the burrow. Maybe PVC in the sand may make them comfortable? They are plankton eaters that should be fed often. I am soooo jealous.
Thanks very useful and I have plenty of PVC. Have you tried ordering them from your LFS? Mine has brought in 10-15 over the last two weeks.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite fish that aren't talked about much are clown gobies and flasher wrasse.

Watching a terminal male flasher wrasse display is one of the most visually striking things in any tank I have, and having owned 3 they've never once allowed themselves to be bullied or shown any aggression other than to stick up for themselves.

Watching a clown goby bounce around in a mature colony of pretty much anything with flowy polyps is also one of my favorite things, and it is the favorite fish of pretty much ever home visitor I have if I point it out to them because of it.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Starki Damsel.

This guy is nothing like the typical damsel and the picture doesn't do it justice. Never had any issues with mine being aggressive.

1671705430314.png

I liked mine a lot. Swimming all over.

20210207_182056.jpg

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemonpeel, Bicolor aren’t talked about much because this is a reef forum. If more people here had FOWLRs or set up FOWLRs I’m sure they’d be a lot more frequently discussed, or if they didn’t have their reputation. Still, I know a few users who put them in full mixed reefs. @OrionN has a Bicolor trio, @cancun has a Lemonpeel.

Blue-Line Angels (C. Septentrionalis) are one of my faves. Asfur Angels too.

Hogfishes, most people are into Fairies and Flashers and Halichoeres and Leopards. I find the non-Fairies / Flashers to be the coolest wrasses.

More Clowns than your standard Percula / Ocellaris.

Assessors, Liopropoma.

Latz Clowns are awesome.
The Spanish hogfish was one of my favorite fish from when I had a tank in middle school through high school.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is Toby puffers. Same big puffer personality and intelligence in a manageable size and even often reef safe.
Toby puffers are really neat!

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to see what is a fish that you love that people don't normally talk about that often. Maybe is rare breed of fish, or just one you are very passionate about that no one seems to really talk much about.

If okay to answer for "what is a fish" by inclusion:
Morey eel for lack of eyesight but other compensating/developed senses.
Morey eels and Cephalopods are of personal interest.
Cephalopods are capable of jetting ink in which contains pheromones to confuse eels.
Also of interest "halo" :smiling-face-with-halo:
I find Cephalopods fascinating quite intelligent or "sentient."
Observed a few Cuttlefish impersonate a larger Cuttlefish to intimidate a larger Cuttlefish herding/guarding females.
I also find Cephalopods interesting not only for puzzle solving, mimicking, but dying of boredom or lack of purpose.
Cephalopods are an incredible creation capable of reproducing colors by flexing pigmented muscle fibers.
Whether by trance/hypnotic effects, shapes, and or sizes Cephalopods are well learned by either genetic instinctive/mutations or intelligence... .
Perhaps after further "evolution" Cephalopods might avoid death or perish from boredom by solving the greatest life /riddle/mystery/puzzle :)
Lastly, Cephalopods seemingly demonstrate true intelligence "learned/knowing," too well when or not to reflect backgrounds (to not contrast, oppose, stand out, or be not indivisible) like Vampires :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Cuttle Fish.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If okay to answer for "what is a fish" by inclusion:
Morey eel for lack of eyesight but other compensating/developed senses.
Morey eels and Cephalopods are of personal interest.
Cephalopods are capable of jetting ink in which contains pheromones to confuse eels.
Also of interest "halo" :smiling-face-with-halo:
I find Cephalopods fascinating quite intelligent or "sentient."
Observed a few Cuttlefish impersonate a larger Cuttlefish to intimidate a larger Cuttlefish herding/guarding females.
I also find Cephalopods interesting not only for puzzle solving, mimicking, but dying of boredom or lack of purpose.
Cephalopods are an incredible creation capable of reproducing colors by flexing pigmented muscle fibers.
Whether by trance/hypnotic effects, shapes, and or sizes Cephalopods are well learned by either genetic instinctive/mutations or intelligence... .
Perhaps after further "evolution" Cephalopods might avoid death or perish from boredom by solving the greatest life /riddle/mystery/puzzle :)
Lastly, Cephalopods seemingly demonstrate true intelligence "learned/knowing," too well when or not to reflect backgrounds (to not contrast, oppose, stand out, or be not indivisible) like Vampires :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Cuttle Fish.jpg
For sure eels and other aquatic life are included!!! eels had always fascinated me, even when I was a kid. Also, cephalopods are super neat as well!!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back