What is a good clean up crew for an lps and soft coral tank?

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Fluval 32.5, but I don’t know what a good clean up crew is. I was thinking of multiple different types of snails, but with snails comes snail eggs. What is a great cleanup crew for my nano tank?

Possible tank mates:
Clownfish (2x)
Flame Angel (1x)
Six Line Wrasse (1x)
Tailspot Blenny (1x)

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about snail eggs. I'd say a few hermits (blue leg or similar), 4-6 turbo snails (hair algae), 4-5 trochus snails, 2 or 3 nassarius for detritus in the sand bed. It also depends on your algal load. Obviously this isn't based on any methodology, so adjust as you see fit. I'd start smaller as you don't want them starving.
I would not do a Flame angel in a tank that size. Not saying it isn't doable, just that they're very active. Also keep an eye on the six line if purchased. Usually fine but in smaller quarters can be jerks.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have come to sing the praises of the urchin. lol. They are amazing cleaners, fun to watch, easy to keep, and readily available as captive bred. I recommend the tuxedo, but several different kinds are also reef safe and available. I believe that there is a thread about them, and I encourage you to check it out. I hope that this helps!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3" is a tough amount. I say tough because it is not enough for a deep, but too much for not causing issues if not cleaned regularly. May want to look at more like 2" at most. No sand dwellers on fish list, so I would go with 1-2". JMO

CUC:
Nerites (checkered)
Nassarius
Cerith
Scarlet Hermit
Conch (fighting)

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 32g tank I would recommend 24-32 snails (variety of species, not including nassarius), 16-24 hermits, 8 nassarius snails, and a fighting conch. If your rockwork is secure, a small reef safe urchin is also an option. IMO, people often vastly underestimate how big of a CuC they need.

OP
OP
A

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 32g tank I would recommend 24-32 snails (variety of species, not including nassarius), 16-24 hermits, 8 nassarius snails, and a fighting conch. If your rockwork is secure, a small reef safe urchin is also an option. IMO, people often vastly underestimate how big of a CuC they need.
I’m probably going to get an urchin and snails, but not that many at first. It’s a lot easier to add than it is to take out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back