What is a good led for my new tank?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So guys I just bought a 60 gallon rr cube today it is 24x24x24 what would be a good led light for this tank I have a 55 gallon long tank and have two ai primes running on it looking at going with a different type preferably under $600 what do you guys think?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll get a hundred different responses, each one different. Assuming you’re doing a mixed or sps tank. I have a ReefBreeders and love it.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll get a hundred different responses, each one different. Assuming you’re doing a mixed or sps tank. I have a ReefBreeders and love it.
I figured but I was thinking either the hydra or the radion.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals do you want to grow, mixed reef, lps, sps ?
Some sps I slowly started getting into sps so prolly not a ton of them but would like to get more into them in the future so I would say some.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also will one mp40 be enough for the tank?

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can rock a kessil 360x with the dongle and gooseneck for right around $600.
Ohhh I really like that idea I bet that would look real nice! Never had a kessil before.

DownSouthBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbreeders for the cheaper option. I just picked up an SB Reef Light but I haven't put it on my tank yet so I can't comment on it but my second option was a Reefbreeders light.

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Steves hybrid idea fully. Realistically, IMO, you’ll have luck with SPS running an led but to really get any killer growth and be confident with any kind of SPS you’ll want the help of T5’s. It also depends on what you find aesthetically pleasing to you. Do you like shimmer in the tank? If so, due to the kessil’s dense matrix cluster I know of no other led that produces a shimmer like kessils. That of halides...however, AI’s, Ecotech and others have a more subtle (glitterball effect). The downfall with the Kessil over other led’s is because of the single point matrix they do shadow more then other led’s (all led’s produce shadowing)...that’s why the hybrid combo is sweet.
I really like the Kessil/T5 personally. T5’s help diffuse the shimmer on any led. T5’s with an XR15 almost diffuse the shimmer completely or an AI...but with the kessil you still have an awesome shimmer and nice color blend with the T5’s. (I have personally done all). And that is my personal experience and opinions. Start off with an Led fixture to get you up and running. Once, you have cycled and thrown corals in and they demand more light throw the T5’s at it. :). Anyway you go I wish you luck. Happy reefing!

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also will one mp40 be enough for the tank?
Depending on thickness of the glass an mp10 will supply enough flow and be cheaper. However, if memory serves me correct the glass has to be less then a half inch for the wetside to stay magnetized to the dry side. If your tank is right at a half inch you’ll have to get an mp40 and yes plenty of flow.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the primes then a hydra 32 will be perfect plus you already know how to use the app so will be able just to dive straight in
I’m kinda leaning towards the hydra 32 since I like my primes I have 3 of them never had a kessil but I hear they are awesome lights I’m not a huge fan of the shadow but for the tank I will be buying a mp40, not sure about led yet, a vortex return pump that should be a good start and all I will need is sand and rock to get her started.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m kinda leaning towards the hydra 32 since I like my primes I have 3 of them never had a kessil but I hear they are awesome lights I’m not a huge fan of the shadow but for the tank I will be buying a mp40, not sure about led yet, a vortex return pump that should be a good start and all I will need is sand and rock to get her started.
Already have a sump for the tank thinking I’m going to do a build thread

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vortech return pumps have a bad reputation here in the UK, I did think of one on my tank a bit ago but after reading all the problems people had I decided to go for a reef octopus varios pump, best thing I ever did.
Mp 40's are fantastic pumps but be warned it is very powerful.
You could go for a Nero 5 which again is a fantastic pump, I have 4 of them on one of my tanks plus they use the same app as the prime and hydra lights.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vortech return pumps have a bad reputation here in the UK, I did think of one on my tank a bit ago but after reading all the problems people had I decided to go for a reef octopus varios pump, best thing I ever did.
Mp 40's are fantastic pumps but be warned it is very powerful.
You could go for a Nero 5 which again is a fantastic pump, I have 4 of them on one of my tanks plus they use the same app as the prime and hydra lights.
Okay I’ll have to remember that and I have one mp40 currently and a mp10 and love them!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back