What is a good phosphate level with the ULR phosphate tester?

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the ULR phosphate tester and got a value of 3. Is that a good value number? I normally use the normal Hanna phosphate tester unit and usually get a value of 0.

I have a 120 gallon sps dominant tank.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the ULR phosphate tester and got a value of 3. Is that a good value number? I normally use the normal Hanna phosphate tester unit and usually get a value of 0.

I have a 120 gallon sps dominant tank.
Ultra low phosphorus or the new ultra low phosphate?? If you’re getting a value of 3 you probably mean the ulr phosphorus

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultra low phosphorus or the new ultra low phosphate?? If you’re getting a value of 3 you probably mean the ulr phosphorus

what is the difference in these two? I have the ulr phosphorus I believe but I didn’t know there was a new one. Is it a better version of their old phosphate reader that read high po4 well?

OP
OP
C

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, so my reading of 3 ppb is only. 009 ppm. That is really low value. No wonder my acros do not color up well.

Besides more heavy feeding which I have already done, what else can I do to bring the po4 up?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry about it personally. Feeding more should help your corals color up some. Mind showing some pics of how they look? I have always tried to shoot for a level around .01 or .02 po4 but seems a lot of people these days like to keep it crazy high and think having it this low is dangerous. I don’t think it is if your feeding well and not using any other export methods that could drop it further.
Some people dose po4 but remember it will get bound up in your rocks too so it’s hard to tell what it is actually doing, could be used by the tank or stored in your rocks to cause issues later.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the chemistry forum. There are lots of posts on how to raise nitrates and phosphates. Removing some chaeto might help too.

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cheap bottle of phytoplankton should do the trick. Start dosing a few ml/day and test until you’re in the .03-.07 range. Being deficient in PO4 can definitely make it difficult for delicate coral.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the difference in these two? I have the ulr phosphorus I believe but I didn’t know there was a new one. Is it a better version of their old phosphate reader that read high po4 well?
The new one just eliminates the conversion
The only reason I bought it is bc my phosphorus crapped out on me and my lfs doesn’t carry the phosphorus or the reagents anymore. So it’s a phosphate with the accuracy of the phosphorus test

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back