What is a good quite pump for carbon reactor

RyansReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a Diamond Goby to my home office 29 gallon reef tank to help with cleaning the sand bed. Tank has been running just over 1 year and has a shallow sand bed. Given my crazy attempt at using Stax shelf rock with big overhangs off the sand bed, it has been hard to clean in some areas.

Well he is certainly stirring the sand but it is kicking up a huge cloud of sediment. So I am going to throw on a 2LF media reactor with carbon to try to help filter out all the sediment. I have a MaxiJet 400 (110 max gph) powerhead feeding the reactor but it is pretty noisy making a constant rattling sound. I have the ball valve closed about 1/3 of the way to keep from tumbling the carbon in the reactor and dont really want to go wide open and not even sure if this will stop the rattle.

Given this tank is in my home office which is pretty small space, I have been working hard to keep the tank quite. Running this noisy pump is harsh-ing my vibe! :)

What is the best pump for a trickle flow through the carbon reactor that wont rattle, is pretty small, and that will work in the display tank?

Is there a better solution to capturing all the sediment the Goby is now kicking up?

Thanks in advance

IMG_7690.JPG

IMG_7692.JPG

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Quiet One one of my utility pumps and it's very quiet. I believe they have a model that's down around 100 gph. You might have to double check head pressure etc. But they're inexpensive and I haven't had any issues with the one I've been using.

Edit - you can also try putting a branch on your line with another ball valve, returning straight back into the tank. That would let you open up your pump flow a bit more, it would probably quiet down, and still keep the flow you want through the media. Although it might look a little funny depending on how you can or can't hide the tubing.

OP
OP
R

RyansReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realized pics were before adding the reactor. With the custom canopy and wanting to pull the water direct from display this is how it came together.

0D42C92D-9EB2-4EB7-92EB-B889D694F172.jpeg
7C1BCE73-2ED2-45F6-9406-C3537CBB453E.jpeg

OP
OP
R

RyansReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Quiet One one of my utility pumps and it's very quiet. I believe they have a model that's down around 100 gph. You might have to double check head pressure etc. But they're inexpensive and I haven't had any issues with the one I've been using.

Edit - you can also try putting a branch on your line with another ball valve, returning straight back into the tank. That would let you open up your pump flow a bit more, it would probably quiet down, and still keep the flow you want through the media. Although it might look a little funny depending on how you can or can't hide the tubing.
Thanks for the added idea. I actually have a manifold on the return from the sump and could and have run a reactor there. My concern is that the nano overflow with 3/4 line is only rated at 200 GPH so is not moving a whole bunch of water through it. So I dug out an old mj400 power head and ran out of the DT to the carbon reactor hanging of the back of the canopy. Works well except for the noise. Not sure if the impeller is bouncing around or what is causing it. Possibly from choking off the flow some? Anyway that’s why I am looking for a smaller power head less than 100 gph and can fit in DT without looking too bad. I am hoping this is only temporary until the sediment is removed and the water column clear again

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back