What is a good Salt Brand to use for my tank

Leonard1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 125 gallons and 6 months old and every time my water evaporates I add fresh water. When I do water changes im trying to get salinity up again and it takes me a bit to get it to the right number, in the beginning I was using red sea coral pro salt now when I told the store owner what i was using he said not to use that brand cause it would raise my alkalinity levels. So now im trying to figure out what brand of salt to use for my tank.

Wallace11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Excellent question and a good one to figure out early.

First off - what type of tank are you planning on having? FOWLR, mixed reef, SPS dominant?

I would then pick a salt mix that has similar values to what you want to run your tank at. For example if you want the dKH to be around 7-8 then pick a salt mix that mixes to that range.

I have a SPS dominant tank and use Tropic Marine Pro-Reef. I picked this for a couple of reasons. First are the parameters it mixes too. The second is that it mixes up very clean and fast. Third is that I like to make up enough salt water to last me for ~4 weeks at a time.

There are a number of excellent videos on this topic.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My tank is 125 gallons and 6 months old and every time my water evaporates I add fresh water. When I do water changes im trying to get salinity up again and it takes me a bit to get it to the right number, in the beginning I was using red sea coral pro salt now when I told the store owner what i was using he said not to use that brand cause it would raise my alkalinity levels. So now im trying to figure out what brand of salt to use for my tank.
This always one of the tougher questions as everyone has a preferred salt or brand.
You have to first determine- Are you going with fish only or a mixed reef system.
Im a tropic Marin user but I did take advantage of some salt deals and have a few buckets of instant ocean reef crystals but I do run mixed reefs.
For fish only, Instant ocean or red sea blue and even fritz salt is fine.
For reefs. . . Reef crystals, tropic marin, seachem salinity, Red sea pro are good salts.

OP
OP
Leonard1990

Leonard1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This always one of the tougher questions as everyone has a preferred salt or brand.
You have to first determine- Are you going with fish only or a mixed reef system.
Im a tropic Marin user but I did take advantage of some salt deals and have a few buckets of instant ocean reef crystals but I do run mixed reefs.
For fish only, Instant ocean or red sea blue and even fritz salt is fine.
For reefs. . . Reef crystals, tropic marin, seachem salinity, Red sea pro are good salts.
I have fish and coral in my tank.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the salt brands are going to work just fine I personally think way too much emphasis is spent on salt. Personally I use whatever I get cheapest. I would not stress even a bit about which salt you use especially if you doing moderate water changes(ie 10-20%)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also in the camp of not being to particular with salt brands. I've used many different brands and it's never been a make-or-break decision for my tanks. IMO, if you're into a regular water change schedule, that priority should go to your RO/DI/ source water and having a well calibrated refractometer.

Back