What is a good skimmer for my build?

Sethdarkus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a 40gal breeder and a 29 gallon tank since well I wanted to use a 20 long however I noticed the 29 has same length/width so it works. I’m going to drill the 40 gal and use the 29 as a sump, it’s mostly to ensure I don’t flood the house and more water is a good thing. Anyway what is a good affordable protein skimmer? I may end up getting a few small messy fish that could impact bioload

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my vortex and the waste it pulls out is nearly completely black. I use a 250 for my 100g. When looking for a skimmer i would not buy lower quality ones as a good reliable skimmer is one of most tanks main nutrient export system. When looking for a skimmer I’d go high quality and rated 2x your total water volume.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+3 for the curve 5. I have one on my 80 with 30 sump(roughly 85G total) and it works wonderfully in 7".

Look at the elite line though, they have a sicce pump which is a very nice upgrade from the stock pump they usually come with.

OP
OP
Sethdarkus

Sethdarkus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my vortex and the waste it pulls out is nearly completely black. I use a 250 for my 100g. When looking for a skimmer i would not buy lower quality ones as a good reliable skimmer is one of most tanks main nutrient export system. When looking for a skimmer I’d go high quality and rated 2x your total water volume.
Im quite aware however I do love a bang for my buck and I do know with some products they are near or equal to a competitor price however may break down or not work or do as good of a job so thanks for the advice. My max on a skimmer would be $250 at this time

OP
OP
Sethdarkus

Sethdarkus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+3 for the curve 5. I have one on my 80 with 30 sump(roughly 85G total) and it works wonderfully in 7".

Look at the elite line though, they have a sicce pump which is a very nice upgrade from the stock pump they usually come with.
$25 Dollars under Max Budget however i am going to use PayPal credit so I can finance it interest free for 6 months so it works:)

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into the coral box skimmers over at reef breeders? Tons of really advances features for a really reasonable price. If I was in the market now, I would seriously consider one of those.

OP
OP
Sethdarkus

Sethdarkus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into the coral box skimmers over at reef breeders? Tons of really advances features for a really reasonable price. If I was in the market now, I would seriously consider one of those.
Kinda debating options now. Coral box and the curve 5 elite both seem good. First tank I’m running a Protein Skimmer on. My nano tanks are so small 10-20% water changes weekly dose the job but on 60-70 gallons of water I’m going to need one along with a RO unit, I’m spending $8 dollars a month on water for my nano so a RO id unit seems like a good investment even now.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back