What is a protien skimmer, and what types are commonly used?

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by skinz78, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Ert

Ert Member

Previously an SRO2000 which was a beast, however I've switched the Bubble Magnus curve 5 due to the much smaller footprint

2. isazh86

isazh86 Member

I need a skimer for my mix reef tank 130 l, what is your suggestions c3 or c5, i will go with Max 5 fish, for start 3( 2 clowns and salarius)?

3. mcarroll

mcarroll PM me R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Tunze 9004?

4. junkycosmos

junkycosmos Member

few things to check on skimmer are not only break in time, noise but also maintenance need over time .. for example the HOB1 skimmer is a huge winner among cube tanks. It runs great, start is easy, break in time near zero. HOWEVER check the reviews .. note that nearly none of them are after 3-6 months of ownership .. the HOB1 has a nasty habit of clogging where the airline goes into the pump elbow. Takes 6 months but clogs up over time then nearly no air.

5. MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster Active Member R2R Supporter

I know this is an older thread but I have a question on skimming.

Does it matter or is it important to have a "continuous foam head" or is it ok if the skimmer still bubbles but does not produce a foam head all the time? Say if the skimmer has skimmed the water clean and it will stop producing foam for a while until there is more in the water to skim again. And leave the skimmer setting alone (once tuned in) and not try adjusting constantly and chasing the "foam head" Is one way better and why?

6. ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

It is better to have a continuous head. I find that a skimmer can take time to get going so having consistent production means that the skimmer is working more efficiently. If the skimmer is oversized for the bioload you wont get a good head on it.

I feel its better to have a skimmer that is rated the correct size, rather than oversized to avoid this problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted