What is a protien skimmer, and what types are commonly used?

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic Skimmer plumbing Question:

I have a Red Sea Max S400 aquarium set up and am using the included CSKIM 1800 skimmer. I like it OK, but recently one of the clamps on the side has broken and it is leaking a bit and losing efficiency. It is also quite noisy at times.

While shopping for new skimmers online, I've started taking interest in the Tunze 9410 DC Skimmer (a lot of satisfied users on this forum).

Anyways, here is my question: In my current, out of the box Red Sea system setup, the water output by the return pump is split where part of the water is returned to the display tank, and part of the water gets fed into the skimmer. Is this the typical setup? When I look at the Tunze skimmer, it almost looks like you just put it in your sump as a standalone unit. It just sorta sucks up the water, skims it, and then return it back to the sump. In this case, I would need to close the split off valve after my return pump and return all of the water from the pump to the display tank.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Rit6942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a protien skimmer, and what types are commonly used?

Well you may know what a protein skimmer does by now but if not I will briefly explain a little.

Pretty much your fish, inverts, and corals all .... well poo right? Algae also puts off organic waste. This poo and organic waste is referred to as detritus. So the most efficient way to remove the detritus from your system "tank" is to employ the use of a protein skimmer.

How does a protein skimmer do this?

Simple it mixes micro bubbles of air with the water inside the skimmer. The micro bubbles then bond with the detritus that is suspended in the water causing the detritus to rise to the collection cup and later be dumped out by you.

Here are some of the main things that you need to consider when choosing a skimmer:

1. For the best skimming, the water flow through the skimmer should be pretty slow as to allow interactions of the micro bubbles and the detritus. The best designs for this are skimmers that employ water moving against the flow of bubbles. Such skimmers are called counter-current skimmers.

2. Make the skimmer reaction chamber as tall as possible to maximize the contact time that the water has with the air in the skimmer. If you are using a hang on or external skimmer you height is not limited as much as an in sump skimmer would limit you. Pump as much air into the reaction chamber as possible.
The key to injecting air is twofold: a) maintaining the smallest sized air bubbles, and b) reducing any potential turbulence of the air bubbles in the skimmer reaction chamber.

3. The diameter of the skimmer can also be increased in proportion to the amount of water being skimmed. The larger the amount of water to skim, the wider the diameter of the skimmer should be.

Types of skimmers

Needle Wheel / Mesh Wheel: Also known as an aspirating skimmer, low to moderate water flow, good foam production, good bubble size, excellent contact time, cost-efficient, requires specialized impeller or needle wheel.

Air driven counter-current: low water flow, good foam production (with new air stones), good bubble size, maximum contact times (with taller units), frequent maintenance and requires frequent water height adjustments (called tuning).

Venturi: good water flow, good foam production, moderate contact time, requires a powerful pump, valve tends to clog.

Beckett-head skimmer: high water flow, maximum bubble production, moderate contact time (swirling patterns will increase this), requires a very powerful pump, Beckett-head requires cleaning.

Downdraftâ„¢: good water flow, excellent bubble production, excellent contact time. Units tend to be tall and bulky and require powerful pumps to create air bubbles.

Recirculating: Recirculation can be added to the venturi and aspirating style skimmer design. The recirculation continues to fractionate the water inside the skimmer body to increase contact time and improve performance. These skimmers usually require an external feed pump to supply water to the skimmer, or they can be direct fed from the tank drain.

For now this is just a basic description, we'll get into a more in depth discussion about skimmers as the thread progresses. Please feel free to ask questions or include any input you may have.
This post needs to be heavily edited and updated........

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to chime in

If you're looking for quiet skimmers, look no further than Deltec 600i (or similar series)

I had an octopus that I returned because it was extremely loud, then I got a Nyos thinking it would be quiet - nope, also loud.

Finally I got a deltect DC pump skimmer...and you can't even hear it. Dead silent with the cabinet doors closed - and the tiniest of sound with doors open (the sound of the bubbles traveling through the neck, like the quietest airstone you've ever heard.)

JJT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, I'll try again.....

Last edited:

ChrisfromBrick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have an SWC skimmer from like 2008. Been out of hobby about 16 years and hoping that it does its job. I cleaned it up and ran the motor through a citric acid water bath for an hour. Here is to hoping for the best.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have an SWC skimmer from like 2008. Been out of hobby about 16 years and hoping that it does its job. I cleaned it up and ran the motor through a citric acid water bath for an hour. Here is to hoping for the best.
You'll be fine.
1000003420.jpg

I recently resurrected my old reef dynamics skimmer and modded the airstar 1200dc with atb volute to it. This should skim better than anything i currently have. High hopes!

Some of the old designs hold up to anything current.
1000003421.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back