What is a protien skimmer, and what types are commonly used?

Jado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! so Ive got a 55 gallon fish only tank. I use a canister filter now but was looking to add in a protein skimmer. Any opinions on brands or models? Also are their any that sit below the tank like a canister filter does?

mrfrizzy321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use TMC V2 SKIM range they are great protein skimmers and no unless you have a sump that it can sit in it will have to be put into the aquarium but you can get hang on the back ones aswell

axle314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a recommendation , i have a mixed 135gal, 55gal sump, i need a space saver because i will be running a jns 2 biopellet reactor, not wanting to break the bank. Thanks the help

Kennyw43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! so Ive got a 55 gallon fish only tank. I use a canister filter now but was looking to add in a protein skimmer. Any opinions on brands or models? Also are their any that sit below the tank like a canister filter does?

You can look in to the Typoon I think the company is D&D.

Ibassfsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deltec Skimmers are awesome. Aqua-C units are temperamental. I have had several EV-120 units and the injector gets clogged a lot. If you put a finger in your tank, it stops skimming for a while.

jiwitaganigichigami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Innovative - Marine Nuvo Fusion Mini 40 will be arriving on Tuesday. I am trying to find a good protien skimmer that will fit the 4.01" width column for the skimmer. I am really a total newbie...so I am reading as much as I can but am about on information overload. I wanted a Tunze, but it won't fit. The only two I have found that should fit are the Hydor Slim Skim Nano and the Innovative - Marine SkimMate Ghost. Any ideas...thoughts...suggestions?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I look at a skimmer like a septic system for your tank - well it is :) I know bigger than your tank can handle is supposed to be better but there are arguements that you don't want to have your tank completely stripped of everything. I ran a Reef Octopus nw-150 on my 125 and it did an outstanding job. So when I upgraded to a 180g I decided to keep that skimmer and see how it handles it. So far it's doing great!

burbon44s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When investing in a skimmer, is there a turn over rule?
I know most freshwater tanks and filters like to see 10 x turn over.
So, if I use a skimmer on my 210, should the skimmer be big enough to see 2100 gallons per hour? Or no?

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an Aquamaxx AM350 for my 150g and I love it. Easy to install, no break in period, easy adjustment, super quiet, and it's a beast:)

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First.
I've read both sides to this story: "You don't want to overskim your tank, so don't overdo the skimmer. Skimming away too good stuff" vs "Your skimmer is going to work based off your tank and what is available to skim. (bioload etc.)"

I don't think I've ever seen/read about someone running a oversized skimmer that has skimmed his tank clean. Also, no matter what skimmer I've run, it has pulled gunk. I'm on my 4th skimmer and all 4 have pulled nasty dark skimmate. Now, the size/type of skimmer has changed, but they've all been venturi/needle wheel style.

So, is over-skimming a myth? and I'm talking within reason here, I'm not going to grab my buddy's reef octo 8000 and put it on a 20g nano...

Second.
Skimmer body shapes. Straight, cone, wine bottle, what's the difference? Is it all about slowing down the bubbles or is there other reasons? Is there a dramatic difference between a skimmer (when using the same pump) running a straight body and a wine bottle body?

NoStRaThOmAs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decide between the Aquamaxx Ecomaxx Em 200 or the Aquamaxx Cone S. Anybody have any experience with these skimmers that would lead me in either direction?

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First.
I've read both sides to this story: "You don't want to overskim your tank, so don't overdo the skimmer. Skimming away too good stuff" vs "Your skimmer is going to work based off your tank and what is available to skim. (bioload etc.)"

I don't think I've ever seen/read about someone running a oversized skimmer that has skimmed his tank clean. Also, no matter what skimmer I've run, it has pulled gunk. I'm on my 4th skimmer and all 4 have pulled nasty dark skimmate. Now, the size/type of skimmer has changed, but they've all been venturi/needle wheel style.

So, is over-skimming a myth? and I'm talking within reason here, I'm not going to grab my buddy's reef octo 8000 and put it on a 20g nano...

Second.
Skimmer body shapes. Straight, cone, wine bottle, what's the difference? Is it all about slowing down the bubbles or is there other reasons? Is there a dramatic difference between a skimmer (when using the same pump) running a straight body and a wine bottle body?

Overskimming is and isn't a myth. There are a few things that can happen, if your carbon dosing and using a large skimmer on a small system you can sterilize your tank and cause the corals to just sit there and not grow. I would consider this overskimming. On the other side if you use to large of a skimmer on a small system you will underskim. There won't be enough organics to create a foam head to consistently skim. In all honesty these are the only things I see happening when people say overskim. Most of the time its underskimming in reality : )

IME when it comes to body shapes the cone/wine glass works better than conventional cylinder. When I ran tests the cone pulled out around 25-30% more skimmate on average. Using the same pump, same size of skimmer as well as the same system. The real advantages of the cone vs cylinder are simple. Less back pressure on the pump due to smaller volume above pump and the big one, body transition. A conventional cylinder moves to a neck quickly, this disrupts the foam head. In a cone this doesn't happen and a cone can also take in more air than a traditional cylinder. If you look at most cylinder skimmers today, they have a bit of a cone neck/transition. As far as the wine vs cone goes, I see no difference in performance. The cone body was a pretty big breakthrough in the hobby some years ago. I haven't seen anything as significant since. The hobby has come a long way in skimming and most manufactures build skimmers with a good transition, venturi, pinwheels....etc. The pump's have also become smaller, more powerful, more efficient as well as quieter. Its been a pretty cool 6-7yrs for skimming.

Back