What is a protien skimmer, and what types are commonly used?

Ert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Previously an SRO2000 which was a beast, however I've switched the Bubble Magnus curve 5 due to the much smaller footprint

isazh86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a skimer for my mix reef tank 130 l, what is your suggestions c3 or c5, i will go with Max 5 fish, for start 3( 2 clowns and salarius)?

junkycosmos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
few things to check on skimmer are not only break in time, noise but also maintenance need over time .. for example the HOB1 skimmer is a huge winner among cube tanks. It runs great, start is easy, break in time near zero. HOWEVER check the reviews .. note that nearly none of them are after 3-6 months of ownership .. the HOB1 has a nasty habit of clogging where the airline goes into the pump elbow. Takes 6 months but clogs up over time then nearly no air.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread but I have a question on skimming.

Does it matter or is it important to have a "continuous foam head" or is it ok if the skimmer still bubbles but does not produce a foam head all the time? Say if the skimmer has skimmed the water clean and it will stop producing foam for a while until there is more in the water to skim again. And leave the skimmer setting alone (once tuned in) and not try adjusting constantly and chasing the "foam head" Is one way better and why?

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread but I have a question on skimming.

Does it matter or is it important to have a "continuous foam head" or is it ok if the skimmer still bubbles but does not produce a foam head all the time? Say if the skimmer has skimmed the water clean and it will stop producing foam for a while until there is more in the water to skim again. And leave the skimmer setting alone (once tuned in) and not try adjusting constantly and chasing the "foam head" Is one way better and why?

It is better to have a continuous head. I find that a skimmer can take time to get going so having consistent production means that the skimmer is working more efficiently. If the skimmer is oversized for the bioload you wont get a good head on it.

I feel its better to have a skimmer that is rated the correct size, rather than oversized to avoid this problem.

Littlejack74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmate from my new Red Sea Skimmer. Best investment I Ever did for my tank!

F782B026-A19B-4C63-BF4E-838641DA7907.jpeg

kles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my pm bullet 2 it's a beast yes have have a big pump but really not pulling that much more power than the reef octopus diablo I was running the reef octopus amp was 1.8 on the apex then unplugged it plugged in the iwalki 40rt amp was 2.1 so not big difference on power . The reef octopus is amazing but the pm bullet is bad butt.

Bape47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys i need suggestion im looking for skimmer for red sea 250 but cant decide it to buy the reef octopus 150 or Bubble magnus curve 7 or Omega Vertex ? Plz help

charlieborg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go with the bubble Magnus. I have had both. I’m using the octopus 150 now. But had a Magnus before in another setup. The Magnus is better for tight spaces because the pump is all in closed in the skimmer. The octopus 150 I have is outside the skimmer. Both do a good job.

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would appreciate some advice on replacing my current skimmer.
Currently, I'm running the CAD Lights PLS 50 Elite II. When the pump works properly, it's a fine skimmer. However, the pump is THE problem with this thing -- and, I'm tired of messing with it.
So, my research has begun on a replacement for my JBJ45. I don't want a HOB skimmer -- it must fit inside the back chamber. As a reference -- the Tunze 9004 is used by many in the JBJ45 -- with mixed reviews. It seems, however, that the DC model of Tunze 9004 is very well liked.
Are there other serious options I should consider?
Thank you for your time to reply.
Regards,
-gene

justusgra1998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
few things to check on skimmer are not only break in time, noise but also maintenance need over time .. for example the HOB1 skimmer is a huge winner among cube tanks. It runs great, start is easy, break in time near zero. HOWEVER check the reviews .. note that nearly none of them are after 3-6 months of ownership .. the HOB1 has a nasty habit of clogging where the airline goes into the pump elbow. Takes 6 months but clogs up over time then nearly no air.
If the skimmer is oversized for the bioload you wont get a good head on it.

justusgra1998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would appreciate some advice on replacing my current skimmer.
Currently, I'm running the CAD Lights PLS 50 Elite II. When the pump works properly, it's a fine skimmer. However, the pump is THE problem with this thing -- and, I'm tired of messing with it.
So, my research has begun on a replacement for my JBJ45. I don't want a HOB skimmer -- it must fit inside the back chamber. As a reference -- the Tunze 9004 is used by many in the JBJ45 -- with mixed reviews. It seems, however, that the DC model of Tunze 9004 is very well liked.auto clicker
Are there other serious options I should consider?
Thank you for your time to reply.
Regards,
-gene
I have had both. I’m using the octopus 150 now. But had a Magnus before in another setup. The Magnus is better for tight spaces because the pump is all in closed in the skimmer. T

Rayzzfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a new skimmer. The one I'm looking at is the Coral Box D300 plus protein skimmers. Has anyone used this one. Any advice on this one...

Marvollo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love coral box products. The pumps are like the lexus of toyota in comparison to coral box of jebao.

ShaunPReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I started a new 60 gallon tank in January. I constantly have nitrate issues (over 90), and even with water changes they don't go down. I am now assuming my protein skimmer might me the issue. I have a coralife 125 protein skimmer, and since january it has never even came up an inch. The coralife skimmer only has one water intake knob, and I don;t know how to set ip properly. Does anyone have any tips as to what im doing wrong?

Clyde Nowlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a lil devil from Aliexpress, took two months and the skimmer barely functions, stick to the big brands.

brandon p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a “terrible” skimmer doing an awesome job. It’s a Seaclone 100 on my 29g sps tank. I don’t run the bubbles at night while they eat, just the water flow. I bought a 2nd/replacement after 3 years. I could have bought a better skimmer but I’m glad I didn’t! Saved that extra cash for my lights. Here’s a pic of the collection cup. I empty it daily

624BE9C7-B53C-4210-9C85-D9276066D0EA.jpeg 400222A3-A7C3-4BA0-8677-1F7564C3221B.jpeg

Back