What is a safe reef fish treatment for ick

Martin Turrubiates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a safe treatment that can be used for ick my blue tang has tiny dots of white they go away then come back I’m currently doing a water change to make sure everything is fine and stable to help out but I was curious if there was anything to use that won’t hurt coral to treat the tank since I don’t have a quarantine tank

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a safe treatment that can be used for ick my blue tang has tiny dots of white they go away then come back I’m currently doing a water change to make sure everything is fine and stable to help out but I was curious if there was anything to use that won’t hurt coral to treat the tank since I don’t have a quarantine tank
Ich management is an option. It won't completely get rid of the ich, but it'll make it less noticeable.

Just keep up on feeding your fish healthy foods, and keeping the water as clean as possible with plenty of water changes. For a Tang: make sure you supply plenty of Nori (seaweed) for it to eat along with meaty foods.

I won't say ich management is the best option, but it's an option none the less. This is coming from experience dealing with it, I'm in process of quarantining and treating my fish due to getting sick of ich. Unfortunately, whatever "strain" my tank is infected with tends to kill new arrivals within a month.

Either way, we're here to help, not judge. Happy Reefing!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some info to help your with your next move in battling Ich:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I agree with Topekoms there is no reef safe option.
Remove all fish and treat in a separate tank and let the display tank remain fishless.

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pray really hard to Poseidon and all other fish gods, follow what @Topekoms said, and read the above thread posted for better education on future purchases. I'd add on though that once in the tank with tankmates, id feed food supplemented with metronidyzol to help prevent ich from appearing on new or old fish. Good luck, may the fish gods be with you

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the classic reef dilemma. Once you put a fish in your reef tank, you can never treat that fish for ich/velvet parasites in the DT, you have to remove all fishes and (1) treat the fishes and (2) starve out the parasite in the DT. There is no "reef safe" way to eradicate the parasites in your DT. The good news is that the "reef unsafe" methods (copper, CP) are really, really effective at hurting invertebrates; that is why those products cannot go in the DT because they will kill coral and other inverts. If you are lucky, this is only ich, and you have time to read, read, read the stick posts in the fish disease forum. I would spend 5 hours reading before you make any decisions. "Living with ich", also known as "ich management" is also an option. See the post referenced above. Good luck.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back