What is an Alternative to Reef AB+? (non Refrigerated)

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow Reefers on this last day of NOV, @vetteguy53081 and others, what is a recommended alternative to Red Sea Reef AB+ that I can use in a doser long term? I honestly just read a reply from BRS to myself that RedSea is only good for 7 days unrefrigerated...well I know I have mine in my doser for about 3 weeks now...which means it (Reef AB+) more than likely is no good. What are your recommendations? Corals look fine, however, my phosphates are around .13ppm, and Nitrates has been steady at 40 ppm (API test) for 2 months now.

20211118_171315.jpg 20211130_111426.jpg

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe CoralAmino or Reef Snow? But those require shaking. I don't know how much they actually separate between uses, but if it's a lot, you'd have to look into getting something to stir them for a few minutes before the doser kicks on.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe CoralAmino or Reef Snow? But those require shaking. I don't know how much they actually separate between uses, but if it's a lot, you'd have to look into getting something to stir them for a few minutes before the doser kicks on.
Oh they cant just be added to a doser and used that way?

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question. I googled the ingredients list for it and found this:

D5C0A3BF-7707-4159-988D-BB026BA7DBA7.png

looks like it’s yeast, glucose, ribose, some sort of thickener (carboxymethylcellulose), vitamins, amino acids, water and acriflavine (fluorescence)

from wiki:
Acriflavine is used in biochemistry for fluorescently labeling high molecular weight RNA.[1]

It is used as treatment for external fungal infections of aquarium fish.[3]

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like it’s yeast, glucose,
Looks like maybe part of the big reason you can't leave it out is because it's going to ferment.

Also, I know it's just a rounding error, but the line "up to 100% distilled water" is kinda funny. I'm surprised they didn't say "up to 99.08%" or "98.24% - 99.08%".
Also, I'm surprised at how diluted it is. In a 1 liter bottle, about a half a cup is active ingredients, the rest is water.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like maybe part of the big reason you can't leave it out is because it's going to ferment.

Also, I know it's just a rounding error, but the line "up to 100% distilled water" is kinda funny. I'm surprised they didn't say "up to 99.08%" or "98.24% - 99.08%".
Also, I'm surprised at how diluted it is. In a 1 liter bottle, about a half a cup is active ingredients, the rest is water.

Right, makes me think THEY think that yeast makes a difference. I’ve heard of reefers adding yeast to their tank and swearing by it. who knows…

in terms of complete substitute, it’s gonna be hard for sure to replace completely, almost impossible via a single doser and really trying to recreate this strange mix.
If me, I might try something like easysps or easyreefs, even tho it’s completely different concept, it is a complete food or so they say and can be dosed via doser and won’t go bad. I might add aminos to that also. As always, watch those parameters if switching things up…

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too did not like having to worry about storage with Reef AB+. I was lucky enough to have read an article about amino acids, vitamins from Reefs.com. Here is the link.

I have used Easy Reef SPS EVO and Easy Reef Easy Booster for about 1 year. Great product, but I did not get as much polyp extension from my LPS from using these products.

After reading the amino acid article, I decided to use Bio-Enhance from Quantum USA as an amino acid plus vitamin supplement because they stated that it does not need to be stored and I can dose it daily from a doser.

After a few days of using Quantum Bio-Enhance, I saw my hammer, frogspawn, torch corals have longer tentacle extensions.

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I too did not like having to worry about storage with Reef AB+. I was lucky enough to have read an article about amino acids, vitamins from Reefs.com. Here is the link.

I have used Easy Reef SPS EVO and Easy Reef Easy Booster for about 1 year. Great product, but I did not get as much polyp extension from my LPS from using these products.

After reading the amino acid article, I decided to use Bio-Enhance from Quantum USA as an amino acid plus vitamin supplement because they stated that it does not need to be stored and I can dose it daily from a doser.

After a few days of using Quantum Bio-Enhance, I saw my hammer, frogspawn, torch corals have longer tentacle extensions.
may have the give these products a shot! would you recommend quantum bio-enhance over easy reef sps evo/easy booster? or rather a combination of them?

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may have the give these products a shot! would you recommend quantum bio-enhance over easy reef sps evo/easy booster? or rather a combination of them?
If you have not used both, I would play it safe and try one or the other and not both.

Introducing too much nutrients at once can cause unwanted nuisance algae.

Giving the reaction I have seen with my LPS, I would try Quantum Bio-Enhance 1st to see if you see similar results.
I am getting to a stage in life where simplicity may be easier to juggle than having to remember what to keep on dosing....

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question. I googled the ingredients list for it and found this:

D5C0A3BF-7707-4159-988D-BB026BA7DBA7.png

looks like it’s yeast, glucose, ribose, some sort of thickener (carboxymethylcellulose), vitamins, amino acids, water and acriflavine (fluorescence)

from wiki:
Acriflavine is used in biochemistry for fluorescently labeling high molecular weight RNA.[1]

It is used as treatment for external fungal infections of aquarium fish.[3]
Interesting, wasn't there a recent thread here where they told someone it contained no dyes? Acriflavine is a dye

But the other ingredients look quite reasonable was looking into dosing yeast extract myself if getting the powdered kind wasn't so expensive, normal yeast can be used too but only dosed manually which I do now and then

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back