What is carbon blocked - Phosphates stuck at ZERO, dosing is not helping????

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am puzzled. I am dosing the recommended dose of NeoPhos but my tank is still testing 0.00.

Background - I was using NoPox to lower my Nitrates and Phosphates a few months ago. I was testing with a Hanna checker. The Nitrates came down and the phosphates showed 0.03 but must have been lower. I had dinos (LCA) bloom. I have been dosing silicates for two weeks and trying to get my phosphates up to 0.10.

I am dosing 25 ml of NeoPhos in a 120g tank but am not seeing any effect. I am using a Salifert test (I was told the silicates confuse the Hanna tester).

I have read that the tank could be carbon blocked which I do not understand. Thinking that I should had a carbon source like NoPox that caused the problem.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every day at 9pm. And dose over the next two hours depends on what all needs are. My ALK doser runs at 11pm and Calc doser runs at midnight.

So you're burning through at least 25 mL of Neophos a day. What is your nitrate level?

For reference, my 40b is consuming 8-10 mL of Neophos a day. So I don't think your numbers are out-of-line. You probably just need to dose more than once a day consistently.to maintain a stable level.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am puzzled. I am dosing the recommended dose of NeoPhos but my tank is still testing 0.00.

Background - I was using NoPox to lower my Nitrates and Phosphates a few months ago. I was testing with a Hanna checker. The Nitrates came down and the phosphates showed 0.03 but must have been lower. I had dinos (LCA) bloom. I have been dosing silicates for two weeks and trying to get my phosphates up to 0.10.

I am dosing 25 ml of NeoPhos in a 120g tank but am not seeing any effect. I am using a Salifert test (I was told the silicates confuse the Hanna tester).

I have read that the tank could be carbon blocked which I do not understand. Thinking that I should had a carbon source like NoPox that caused the problem.

Brightwell’s comment about carbon limitation is misguided and carbon limitation cannot possibly ever in any scenario keep one from raising phosphate with sufficient dosing.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're burning through at least 25 mL of Neophos a day. What is your nitrate level?

For reference, my 40b is consuming 8-10 mL of Neophos a day. So I don't think your numbers are out-of-line. You probably just need to dose more than once a day consistently.to maintain a stable level.
My Nitrate tested 10.1 last night. It has been slowly dropping over the past few weeks. I dosed NeoNitrate 4ml two days ago when it tested 9.6

Back