What is depleting my calcium and Magnesium

mdebilio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is rapidly depleting my Calcium and Magnesium levels. I have performed 10% x 4 water changes over the last 2 weeks and the numbers have not gone up. I checked my salter water source and tested it, and they are at a better level. I cannot figure out why this is happening and I think it may be effecting my corals.

I started with dry rock and let it cycle (less chance for pests as a reason). I am 4-5 months into this tank. I have 7 zoa frag plugs (small) in my 20 gallon Red Sea Max Nano tank. I have 7 snails 12 hermit crabs, 1 6 line wrasse, 1clown, 1 fire shrimp. NOTHING stands out as the source of my chemical problems.

observation: my Zoa’s are not opening up and stay closed all day. Could this chemical in balance be the reason for this? What will a low calcium and magnesium do for my coral and tank?

Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Salinity 1.024
KH: 7.7
Ca 390 (low)
Mg: 1260 (low)
Lights: AI Prime HD 50% blues & almost no R,G,W

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is rapidly depleting my Calcium and Magnesium levels. I have performed 10% x 4 water changes over the last 2 weeks and the numbers have not gone up. I checked my salter water source and tested it, and they are at a better level. I cannot figure out why this is happening and I think it may be effecting my corals.

I started with dry rock and let it cycle (less chance for pests as a reason). I am 4-5 months into this tank. I have 7 zoa frag plugs (small) in my 20 gallon Red Sea Max Nano tank. I have 7 snails 12 hermit crabs, 1 6 line wrasse, 1clown, 1 fire shrimp. NOTHING stands out as the source of my chemical problems.

observation: my Zoa’s are not opening up and stay closed all day. Could this chemical in balance be the reason for this? What will a low calcium and magnesium do for my coral and tank?

Salinity 1.024
Ca 390 (low)
As long as your salinity is accurate, raising it to 1.026 will raise calcium and magnesium. However the numbers you currently have are not disasterous, if you believe your test kits. I always run my tanks at 1.026.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using? Reef Crystal have elevated macros. Can try that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salinity 1.024
Ca 390 (low)

Your calcium and magnesium levels look normal to high (certainly above NSW) for that salinity.

Are you dosing any?

How much depletion are you observing?

They do not just deplete on their own without large consumption of alkalinity.

OP
OP
M

mdebilio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your calcium and magnesium levels look normal to high (certainly above NSW) for that salinity.

Are you dosing any?

In my research these are below where they should be. Where do you aim?
As long as your salinity is accurate, raising it to 1.026 will raise calcium and magnesium. However the numbers you currently have are not disasterous, if you believe your test kits. I always run my tanks at 1.026.
I had not thought of this. Let me look into that. What numbers do you aim for? Oh my research this is below where I should be aiminig

OP
OP
M

mdebilio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you dosing any?

No dosing yet

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I had not thought of this. Let me look into that. What numbers do you aim for? Oh my research this is below where I should be aiminig

Look at some of Randy's posts; he is quite thorough...

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t aim for any specific numbers. I’ve been doing this for ages. Tests kits are generally low resolution, ie crap. If anyone tells you the ideal numbers, they are lying. If your in the general area, you are good.

OP
OP
M

mdebilio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salinity 1.024
Ca 390 (low)
I feel like an idiot… I posted the LFS’s CA & MG cause I made them test their water hahah

mine:
Ca: 380
Mg: 1200
@Garf @Randy Holmes-Farley

OP
OP
M

mdebilio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my zoas…. Even my GSP is hiding…
F3D60CB4-C84F-4DEA-A07E-89DED0349809.jpeg

OP
OP
M

mdebilio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at some of Randy's posts; he is quite thorough...

This is SUCH and awesome read!! Thanks

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my zoanthids staying closed when I first started keeping corals, they were my first too, when the calcium level was low but this was also accompanied by low magnesium and alkalinity I started using all for reef and never looked back now I just have to check salinity and to test and dose alkalinity regularly the other tests are done monthly or even more sometimes if I forget where I am in the month hope this helps a bit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There's no aiming involved. Natural seawater at that salinity does have calcium and magnesium BELOW your current levels. Simple fact.

Reason for pointing it out is that you can raise levels just by correcting the salinity to 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264).

Salinity 1.024
Ca 390 (low)

raise salinity to 35 ppt and the numbers become:

Salinity 1.0264
KH: 8.5 dKH
Ca 429 ppm (above NSW at 420 ppm)
Mg: 1386 ppm (well above NSW at 1280 ppm)

OP
OP
M

mdebilio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no aiming involved. Natural seawater at that salinity does have calcium and magnesium BELOW your current levels. Simple fact.

Reason for pointing it out is that you can raise levels just by correcting the salinity to 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264).

Salinity 1.024
Ca 390 (low)

raise salinity to 35 ppt and the numbers become:

Salinity 1.0264
KH: 8.5 dKH
Ca 429 ppm (above NSW at 420 ppm)
Mg: 1386 ppm (well above NSW at 1280 ppm)
Thank you for sharing.

In your opinion, is there a typical reason for why you see Corals stay closed up like that? It has been this way for a few weeks and I am getting concerned

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing.

In your opinion, is there a typical reason for why you see Corals stay closed up like that? It has been this way for a few weeks and I am getting concerned

Could be lots of things: flow, lighting, organisms (fish, nearby corals, crabs, etc.) annoying it, etc. Chemistry is not usually the most likely concern for closed corals.

I'd suggest posting a thread in the main forum with a title about zoanthids being closed up so that folks with a lot of experience with them can sort through your tank details.

Back