What is forming on the bottom of my Brute trashcan?

ZachAttack23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am new to the saltwater hobby. I mixed my saltwater in a brute trashcan and within a week or so i noticed something building up on the bottom of the trashcan. this stuff is also getting into the water column. It is brown when i wipe it up with a paper towel. I have attached a picture. Its worth mentioning i have a lid on the can at all times. Does anyone know what this might be? Is it normal? Thank you in advance.

water.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is likely impurities from the salt. Some salt brands have more than others, but many people don't consider this to be an issue.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am new to the saltwater hobby. I mixed my saltwater in a brute trashcan and within a week or so i noticed something building up on the bottom of the trashcan. this stuff is also getting into the water column. It is brown when i wipe it up with a paper towel. I have attached a picture. Its worth mentioning i have a lid on the can at all times. Does anyone know what this might be? Is it normal? Thank you in advance.

water.jpg
Scrape it, is it hard like a shell? Or is it dusty?

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree it's impurities in the salt mix settling out. I usually clean my brute cans every few months with a water and vinegar mix and it comes right off.

MamaMolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it from Red Sea blue bucket as well. No issues. Just wipe it down.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can clean it out with dilute muriatic acid (HCl). By dilute about a gallon of 1 or 2% should do it. Use RODI.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run your water through a RO/DI sediment filter.

My brutes are sparkling clean like new, and I've been mixing regular old purple box IO in the same brute for 5 years.

Either way it's fine to use.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back