OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby looks malnourished. The firefish was obviously harrased to death. I doubt the gramma did it. A female clown can get aggressive in a small tank but I'd expect to see signs of aggression before a chunk of its rear was missing.
It does which is amazing because every time I fed he ate. I did buy him when they got him in the same day, might be the issue? But he’s seemed healthy. Doesn’t explain the crab dead too

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does which is amazing because every time I fed he ate. I did buy him when they got him in the same day, might be the issue? But he’s seemed healthy. Doesn’t explain the crab dead too

The goby could've had a parasite which would rob it of adequate nutrition. Like you said though, doesn't explain the crab. And something clearly tried to chow down on the firefish. Maybe a pest you've overlooked?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I believe it’s a gorilla crab and a known killer often a hitchhiker on rock
You know what to do with that crab

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby could've had a parasite which would rob it of adequate nutrition. Like you said though, doesn't explain the crab. And something clearly tried to chow down on the firefish. Maybe a pest you've overlooked?
What kind of pest could cause mayhem like that? I have a record of cirlonoid isopods that took out a fire fish at the start of my tank. Could explain the gobies death. Not the crab or the fire fish attack though

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it’s a gorilla crab s as nd a known killer often a hitchhiker on rock
You know what to do with that crab
At that size could he do that kind of damage to the fire fish? And the goby doesn’t have any damage or the crab. Mantis shrimp with those smashers? Idek I’m just guessing blind at this point.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
At that size could he do that kind of damage to the fire fish? And the goby doesn’t have any damage or the crab. Mantis shrimp with those smashers? Idek I’m just guessing blind at this point.
With mantis- you will hear clicking sounds
A crab that small can cause havoc

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of pest could cause mayhem like that? I have a record of cirlonoid isopods that took out a fire fish at the start of my tank. Could explain the gobies death. Not the crab or the fire fish attack though

I'm not much help there unfortunately. A mantis could, but you obviously pay close attention to your tank so I'd suspect you'd hear it. I like Vetteguy's idea of the gorilla crab. They can be extremely hard to find and can absolutely take down fish.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not much help there unfortunately. A mantis could, but you obviously pay close attention to your tank so I'd suspect you'd hear it. I like Vetteguy's idea of the gorilla crab. They can be extremely hard to find and can absolutely take down fish.
Just so many inconsistencies :( I see what you’re saying but how’d crabby die.
Goby looks skinny, not a healthy fish :( What type of pistol did you buy?
I know, he was active and eating though :confused:A Randall’s pistol

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
During night, shine a flashlight into tank and you may find your culprit

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are in:
Ammonia - 0, Temp - 76.3, Alk - 10dkh, calc - 455, P04 - 0.02, N03 - 25ppm, salinity - 1.0259

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so many inconsistencies :( I see what you’re saying but how’d crabby die.

I know, he was active and eating though :confused:A Randall’s pistol

Skinny eating fish sometimes make it and sometimes they do not. It is definitely risky. Sometimes it is internal parasites and they will keep eating until the end.

There have been multiple deaths but I suspect the two fish deaths are not related. The shrimp goby looks intact and probably died and gave into malnourishment.

I buy skinny fish too sometimes when they are hard to find ones but it is 100% a risk of losing it all $$$

I wouldn't be surprised if there was also a crab or such lurking as well. The little one you found does not look like it was going to grow up into a nice one. You can catch the crabs by putting some fish food in a glass or such and leaning it up against the rock or such.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he said he found the crab dead though, i still suspect either it was really complete molt he found or there is another crab in there. They are hard to find unless you flip every rock though

Back