OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess what I saw this morning. ANOTHER OF THOSE CRABS!!!! I was spot feeding all my corals with some of the nice meaty reef frenzy and his legs stuck out and went back in just as quick. I can’t believe it, I think we found the culprit guys. Can totally explain the frags, the attacks, and the other crab dying.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s in this hole. He’s taunting me, he keeps coming in and out. It’s like he can sense I’m here, I’m not moving at all, no hands in the tank
27AB13FC-87D9-42CE-823E-3140A55EA051.jpeg

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s in this hole. He’s taunting me, he keeps coming in and out. It’s like he can sense I’m here, I’m not moving at all, no hands in the tank
27AB13FC-87D9-42CE-823E-3140A55EA051.jpeg
Mystery solved
Well, there ya go. I’m sure if you have that one you may have more. If your able to take that rock out and no corals on it, leave it out and or dip in fresh water.
get’r’done

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there ya go. I’m sure if you have that one you may have more. If your able to take that rock out and no corals on it, leave it out and or dip in fresh water.
Sadly I can’t do that. Like 5 corals glued to it and it’s supporting two other rocks. I think going to try a shot glass leaned up with some fish in it to bait and hoping it’ll go in and not be able to get it

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I can’t do that. Like 5 corals glued to it and it’s supporting two other rocks. I think going to try a shot glass leaned up with some fish in it to bait and hoping it’ll go in and not be able to get it
You could also go the executioner route:
Jab a shape object in there or squirt with boiling water to flush out..... ;)

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspected that your "dead" crab was a molt. Meaning it’s very well fed. Make a bottle trap. It should only be slightly larger than it was so it should fit through the opening of a coke bottle (glass preferably), find a small piece of plastic tubing that will fit in the opening and go past about two inches and glue it. The crab (and all the bristle worms you didn’t know you had) will go in if you leave a nice piece of fish or shrimp. Give it a couple of days.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspected that your "dead" crab was a molt. Meaning it’s very well fed. Make a bottle trap. It should only be slightly larger than it was so it should fit through the opening of a coke bottle (glass preferably), find a small piece of plastic tubing that will fit in the opening and go past about two inches and glue it. The crab (and all the bristle worms you didn’t know you had) will go in if you leave a nice piece of fish or shrimp. Give it a couple of days.
The dead crab was definitely not a molt. I have a bunch of freshwater shrimp and know what molts look and feel like. That thing was a dead crab. But thank you on the tip for catching it :)

JAMreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dead crab was definitely not a molt. I have a bunch of freshwater shrimp and know what molts look and feel like. That thing was a dead crab. But thank you on the tip for catching it :)
Maybe you already answered this and I missed it, did the firefish survive?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's the only way in/out, you could try filling it with superglue or plugging the hole with epoxy. Let it starve to death in there.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's the only way in/out, you could try filling it with superglue or plugging the hole with epoxy. Let it starve to death in there.
Yeah true. My rock is super porous though so I highly doubt that it’s the only way in/out. I’m gonna try the crab traps and see if that reveals anything

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you found the source of destruction. I would get a pair of pliers/big forceps and a turkey baster full of 'the juices left after you defrost your food' and squirt it in the hole. The crab will come crawling out real fast looking for a juicy meal, and then bam! You pluck him up with your pliers. Crabby crab no more.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back