What is Happening to my Butterfly??

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past few hours (literally) my Vagabond butterfly's color pattern has changed from white on the side to this black streak...what is going on? Is he sick with something?? IMG_20220126_024636.jpg

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's going on with your murky water?

If you have an algae bloom going on... it sucks vital O2 right out of the water bc the algae is consuming it exponentially.

If your butterfly is breathing rapidly.... better get an airstone in there STAT! or pull it to put in a QT

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's going on with your murky water?

If you have an algae bloom going on... it sucks vital O2 right out of the water bc the algae is consuming it exponentially.

If your butterfly is breathing rapidly.... better get an airstone in there STAT! or pull it to put in a QT

The water is murky because I just got him a couple days ago and he's in QT....I do have an airstone in there and the water is murky from offering him fresh oysters

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past few hours (literally) my Vagabond butterfly's color pattern has changed from white on the side to this black streak...what is going on? Is he sick with something?? IMG_20220126_024636.jpg
Those are his night colors i.e. the colors that he puts on when he sleeps.

This is a HUGE stress indicator and he is most likely not to live.

The cloudy water is a very strong indication of bacterial bloom and this means that the tank is cycling.

I would highly suggest multiple large water changes. This is not a good place to be.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are his night colors i.e. the colors that he puts on when he sleeps.

This is a HUGE stress indicator and he is most likely not to live.

The cloudy water is a very strong indication of bacterial bloom and this means that the tank is cycling.

I would highly suggest multiple large water changes. This is not a good place to be.
I just did a large water change seconds ago

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a large water change seconds ago
It does sort of look like this species' night coloration, and that can also be brought on by stress.

Jay

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does sort of look like this species' night coloration, and that can also be brought on by stress.

Jay
Thank you Jay, I was actually unaware their nighttime coloration was so pronounced and feared the worst (this is actually my first butterfly)...it was the middle of the night here when this picture was taken although he's probably a little stressed as well. Sorry for the false alarm.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my two strip rabbit fish does the same thing. beautiful in the store and blotchy when stressed after i got him home. Colors are back and he's back to the way he looked at the LFS.

edit: before the rabbit fish police chime in, he's going in a 180 gallon tank in a week and is a juvinile right now ;-)

Back