What Is In Your Tank, And How Do You Feed It?

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know how you went about stocking and feeding your tank, focusing on the bioload. I want to understand where people start, how far they feel comfortable going and ultimately how much waste has to be dealt with. If you care to add to the thread, please provide this info on your tank:
Size
Initial tank stocking (number and size of fish)
Initial feeding schedule (for example cubes of frozen, amount of dry per day)
Final stock
final feeding schedule
Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon. After cycle I added 2 clowns. Fed about a 1/4 of a mysis cube at that time. In 1 month time lapses I added lawnmower blenny, 1 damsel, 1 flame angel, mandarin dragonette, watchmen goby and finally a yellow tang. Right now I feed just enough pellets, or frozen rods food for them to finish in about 30 seconds. I also alternate in some vegetarian dinners for them.

OP
OP
R

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon. After cycle I added 2 clowns. Fed about a 1/4 of a mysis cube at that time. In 1 month time lapses I added lawnmower blenny, 1 damsel, 1 flame angel, mandarin dragonette, watchmen goby and finally a yellow tang. Right now I feed just enough pellets, or frozen rods food for them to finish in about 30 seconds. I also alternate in some vegetarian dinners for them.
Thanks, any idea of how much you feed now? a cube, two, more, less?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still wouldn't go over a cube. I basically just try and keep to what ever is consumed in 30 seconds. The vegetarian cubes take a little longer though since they go in frozen.. I feed once a day.

runcis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
size - initially 47 gal cube, now 104 gal rectangular;
initial stock - 1 amphiprion polymnus, 1 diadema setosum, 2 starfish, 1 hermit crab, 1 pistol shrimp, lots of snails; never needed any cycling since I bought a ready living system (sand, water, live rock, corals, macroalgae) out of a tank at LFS;
initial feeding schedule - half of cube of frozen artemia in the morning;
final stock - 1 amphiprion ocellaris (+RBTA+porcelain anemone crab); 1 chaetodon citrinellus; 1 salarias ramosus; 5 different damselfish; 1 acreichtys tomentosus; 1 callogobius hasseltii; 1 amphiprion ephippium plus the same as above except amphiprion polymnus (died because of my stupidity);
final feeding schedule - 2 and a half cube of different frozen food (artemia, mysis, krill, moussel, fish eggs, crystal shrimp, home made mix etc.) , divided during early morning, afternoon and late evening; small sheet of nori for the blenny; never give any pellets.
:)

mysaltwatertank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know how you went about stocking and feeding your tank, focusing on the bioload. I want to understand where people start, how far they feel comfortable going and ultimately how much waste has to be dealt with. If you care to add to the thread, please provide this info on your tank:
Size
Initial tank stocking (number and size of fish)
Initial feeding schedule (for example cubes of frozen, amount of dry per day)
Final stock
final feeding schedule
Thanks!
I have a 90 gallon with a starry blenny, two clownfish, an engineer goby, fathead sunburst anthias, royal gramma, two cleaner shrimp, sea urchin, and a few small snails. Started out with the starry blenny and engineer goby amd slowly added more. Not even 1/4 cube of frozen food to begin. At current stock I use about 1/3 of one pellet, 1/3 of another pellett, and a very, very small sprinkling if the small TDO pellets.
For the frozen food, I mix between frozen mysis, sprulina, and blood worms I believe. Try to spread them out, I actually use medicine holders so I have three weeks of food ready at a time (the ones people use for Mon-Sun of pills). It works! The food is gone in a few mins. Everything seems healthy and happy. 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, and either 0 or close to 0 ammonia. Protein skimmer is a life saver too.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back