What is it and what do I do?

reefslugs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has only been up a little over a year. I started it with new everything. I used CaribSea Shapes LifeRock Dry Live Rock and CaribSea's live sand. I use a Simplicity skimmer and a Aqua Ultraviolet UV sterilizer. Lights are Reef Breeder Photon V2 at 10 hours a day. I know the nitrates are high. I use the Hanna ultra low test and I never get a reading. There is also bubble algae in there. Also most my snails died or the live ones are just dorment. There are many scarlet and blue leg hermits in there. RODI has all new cartages. TDS is 0.
CA 500 Salifert
Alk 8.3 Salifert
Mag 1500 Salifert
No 50 Salifert
Po4 0 Hanna Ultra low
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (3).jpg
thumbnail.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would brush/scrub as much off as possible and siphon it out, followed by one or two rounds of fluconazole.

You could dose vibrant and phosphate, and keep phosphate at 0.05ish while you bring the nitrate down. The reason why you would dose phosphate is to avoid dinos and to keep enough for the corals.

As for additional critters, consider emerald crabs, a few urchins (my number 1 choice), and turbo snails

Any of these three will help!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reefslugs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I just noticed I have red cyno growing on top of it. I also for got to mentioned that I added a GFO reactor on it last weekend.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not do water changes. I only do them when I test my water and it shows to be dirty.

That is probably why you have the algae. If you let enough phosphate get absorbed by those rocks, I'd imagine the hair algae would have a great time

You can't avoid water changes unless you are carbon dosing and have phosphate under control or run a refugium.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back