0cbf70b3a3792562fc864615137d0da8.jpg
not sure could use some help

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The small white thing in front is an asterina star. You do have, however, what looks to be aiptasia in the background.

reef051290

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get it out! They multiply like crazy and are a nuisance

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually consider them part of the CUC. They do multiply quick but they seem to come and go in waves. Most are reef safe although some are known to feed on coral.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get it out! They multiply like crazy and are a nuisance

Are you talking about the aiptasia? If so, then agree.

However, if you are talking about the Asterina, then not so much. As Waters mentioned, although there are some species of Asterina that are purported to be coral eaters, the majority are not and are harmless hitchhikers. Yes, the population can grow to be quite large, but it will usually eventually decrease with time. It tends to ebb and flow as the tank evolves. I've never seen a study that documents what triggers the changes in populations, but in the five SW tanks that I've owned, I've witnessed these changes in all of them.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the aiptasia? If so, then agree.

However, if you are talking about the Asterina, then not so much. As Waters mentioned, although there are some species of Asterina that are purported to be coral eaters, the majority are not and are harmless hitchhikers. Yes, the population can grow to be quite large, but it will usually eventually decrease with time. It tends to ebb and flow as the tank evolves. I've never seen a study that documents what triggers the changes in populations, but in the five SW tanks that I've owned, I've witnessed these changes in all of them.

It's funny you mention that. I used to have a bunch of them and until I saw this thread hadn't really thought about it but I rarely see them anymore.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 47 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back