What Is It That Draws Us To Reefing? Is There Something Special About Reefers?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, getting a little philosophical here but curious what draws all of us to Saltwater aquariums?

Is it our love of animals?

Is it out fascination with Mother Nature?

Is it a need to take care of pets?

Is it just something innate with us?

Is it something else?

Hoping to identify some commonality amount us crazy reefers and find out what drives us in this hobby. Is there something about Reefers that makes us special?

Mmar2385

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, getting a little philosophical here but curious what draws all of us to Saltwater aquariums?

Is it our love of animals?

Is it out fascination with Mother Nature?

Is it a need to take care of pets?

Is it just something innate with us?

Is it something else?

Hoping to identify some commonality amount us crazy reefers and find out what drives us in this hobby. Is there something about Reefers that makes us special?
I'm fairly brand new to reefing. I've kept freshwater tanks for 8 years, I got into the hobby from working at Walmart in the pet section. I was the only one keeping the fish tanks cleaned, feeding then and do their water changes. It was freshwater only. The feedback I received from everyone; fellow employees and customers alike, gave me such a rewarding feeling. So then I bought my first tank ever, it was 10 gallons and filled it with neon tetras, corydoras, a pleco, and an angelfish. Then the love for the hobby took off. Next think I know, I'm buying a 40 gallon tank, filled it with a black fin shark, 2 angels, 2 plecos, some more tetras etc. Then I got into saltwater, I started in March of this year. I was doing all the research I could on YouTube and on here learning from all these great folks. I love watching my hermits, cleaner shrimp, fishes eating, interacting and watching their shenanigans. I love watching my corals thrive and grow. I'm already a full time worker, wife and mother to a wacky toddler. My job can be stressful but when I come home to feed my tank, I sit back, watch and relax. It's my anti drug. I love reefing and look forward to gaining friends in the hobby on here. Though it has been a learning curve, I just simply love reefing!!!
20211009_111821.jpg
20211007_163522.jpg
20211002_090235.jpg

NewReeferKev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first reef about 5-6 months ago. I was always amazed by how many organisms work together to make such a dynamic ecosystem. The wonder brought me to making a tiny waterbox in my home.

I do love all creatures except humans typically (no offense, love reefers)

Mother Nature is beyond my comprehension. Every time I look at nature, or a process by it, it blows my mind. Most recently the connection of trees and plants in forests. Wonderful that a tree will help another specie with nutrients if it is struggling.

I try to avoid thinking of my aquarium friends as pets. I prefer to think of them as being in a synthetic nature environment. I try to observe in unobtrusive ways.

I can’t even begin to remember what I did with all my time before my aquarium. It was a calling that I just had to answer. All I read about is reefing, I get home from work, and watch it. Eat, sleep, breathe reefs.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly brand new to reefing. I've kept freshwater tanks for 8 years, I got into the hobby from working at Walmart in the pet section. I was the only one keeping the fish tanks cleaned, feeding then and do their water changes. It was freshwater only. The feedback I received from everyone; fellow employees and customers alike, gave me such a rewarding feeling. So then I bought my first tank ever, it was 10 gallons and filled it with neon tetras, corydoras, a pleco, and an angelfish. Then the love for the hobby took off. Next think I know, I'm buying a 40 gallon tank, filled it with a black fin shark, 2 angels, 2 plecos, some more tetras etc. Then I got into saltwater, I started in March of this year. I was doing all the research I could on YouTube and on here learning from all these great folks. I love watching my hermits, cleaner shrimp, fishes eating, interacting and watching their shenanigans. I love watching my corals thrive and grow. I'm already a full time worker, wife and mother to a wacky toddler. My job can be stressful but when I come home to feed my tank, I sit back, watch and relax. It's my anti drug. I love reefing and look forward to gaining friends in the hobby on here. Though it has been a learning curve, I just simply love reefing!!!
20211009_111821.jpg
20211007_163522.jpg
20211002_090235.jpg
Kudos to you for managing your family, full time work and a reef aquarium! Sounds like a very busy life but also very meaningful, joyous, and successful!

Wish you all the best and thank you for sharing your story!!!

BTW - great pics from your aquarium!!!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a kid in the late 60's we would go to Stienhart Aquarium in San Francisco.
Mid 80's I got a 55 gallon acrylic tank as a gift.
So I went to a few local aquariums and saw the reef tanks and never looked back.
I enjoy the challenge of keeping a thriving reef tank.
Having a chemistry background made it that more addicting too.
Current tank-120.
20210927_142736.jpg

20210927_142744.jpg

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first reef about 5-6 months ago. I was always amazed by how many organisms work together to make such a dynamic ecosystem. The wonder brought me to making a tiny waterbox in my home.

I do love all creatures except humans typically (no offense, love reefers)

Mother Nature is beyond my comprehension. Every time I look at nature, or a process by it, it blows my mind. Most recently the connection of trees and plants in forests. Wonderful that a tree will help another specie with nutrients if it is struggling.

I try to avoid thinking of my aquarium friends as pets. I prefer to think of them as being in a synthetic nature environment. I try to observe in unobtrusive ways.

I can’t even begin to remember what I did with all my time before my aquarium. It was a calling that I just had to answer. All I read about is reefing, I get home from work, and watch it. Eat, sleep, breathe reefs.
Share your amazement of Mother Nature and really like your mindset of aquarium friends and not just a pet!!!

THESTRZA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I went to a few local aquariums and saw the reef tanks and never looked back.
Current tank-120.
20210927_142736.jpg
Wow that is gorgeous!!!!!

I love the challenge and I have been enjoying the community! Not many can say they have a piece of the reef in their home!

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current tank-120.
20210927_142736.jpg
Wow your chemistry knowledge really comes through in this Reef! What an incredible slice of heaven!

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fascination of the ocean and how I can keep a slice of it. If there was a chance on keeping space and have mini planets with there very own ecosystem I would keep that in a heartbeat. The ocean comes in second cause that is the second place where life began.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had a fascination with undiscovered or lesser explored worlds or ecosystems. Whether it be in space, underground, or under water. I believe that is what gravitated me to saltwater tanks at a young age. There is still so much to discover about our oceans and how we can keep a piece of it in our homes.

Mmar2385

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos to you for managing your family, full time work and a reef aquarium! Sounds like a very busy life but also very meaningful, joyous, and successful!

Wish you all the best and thank you for sharing your story!!!

BTW - great pics from your aquarium!!!
You are so kind thank you! Yes, my life is so full and I'm so happy. I'm glad I made a profile on here, everyone here has been so nice and helpful! I also wish you all the best life has to offer! Cheers

Mmar2385

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current tank-120.
20210927_142736.jpg

20210927_142744.jpg
Absolutely STUNNING!!!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is something about just sitting in front of your reef and watching all the inhabitants that is just so calming and peaceful. I honestly just spend hours watching everything. It is so much more relaxing then hearing all the bad news on tv. It is such a beautiful hobby with great people to share with on here.

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kept numerous pets and many freshwater tanks as a kid, at one point I tried a saltwater tank, knowing absolutely nothing more than how to check salinity. Needless to say that didn't last too long. Now in my mid 50's, divorced and living by myself, working from home the past year and a half due to the pandemic I have the time and began entertaining the idea of getting back in to the hobby with a reef tank. Of course the hobby has advanced light years since I was a kid (no internet back then, so now the available resources like R2R are unbelievable). Well I jumped in and loving it. Spend most of my free time researching informative videos and websites, and plan on getting my first coral in exactly one week, which I am very excited about.

Attachments

• 20211009_202755.jpg
    20211009_202755.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 20

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that the majority of successful reefers are smarter than the av-er-age bear, which is honestly quite refreshing.

And in the spirit of honesty, my mental health has been terrible, and I needed something I could throw myself into, and that I'd invest time and money into while getting continual enjoyment, a sense of accomplishment, and that will keep me learning and engaged. Really, something I can be consumed with.

I loved keeping a tank with my ex-husband, so I wasn't going in blind, but he came and left with his reef tank. Building one of my own, through both pitfalls and triumphs, has been really rewarding.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fascination of the ocean and how I can keep a slice of it. If there was a chance on keeping space and have mini planets with there very own ecosystem I would keep that in a heartbeat. The ocean comes in second cause that is the second place where life began.
Fascinating concept - mini worlds with their own ecosystems. Amazing what we can accomplish!

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is something about just sitting in front of your reef and watching all the inhabitants that is just so calming and peaceful. I honestly just spend hours watching everything. It is so much more relaxing then hearing all the bad news on tv. It is such a beautiful hobby with great people to share with on here.
You bring in another interesting aspect of the hobby - other reefers. I find reefers to be incredibly friendly, also ways ready to help, great sense of humor, and people with a genuine interest in others.

You definitely hit on something here - one thing that makes Reefers special is our Reefing Community!!!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me its a natural progression of the hobby. Started with goldfish in a bowl, moved onto other fish, breeded some fish, tried planted aquariums, then moved onto saltwater with FOWLR, which eventually turned into reefing. Its always about increasing the challenge (and the satisfaction of success).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back