What is it????

TMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just did a 3 day blackout to try and kill off some Dinos and when we opened it back up this was on one of our rocks it was just a tube at first but has since opened up my first thought it was an Aiptasia but it looks different from those that I have killed maybe because the blackout, the tube is long and has just short tenacles and there is a fluorescent green dot right in the middle the stem is about 1/4 diameter and bout 1 inch long
What.jpg

OP
OP
TMC

TMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a Palythoa it is normal for them to come out alone on the living rock
There is another tube similar on the other side but no tentacles yet and a smaller one a little bit beside it are they good? And now it has retracted mostly again is this normal for a Palythoa to come out and back in?

ARCkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it might be a snake polyp. I used to have a small colony of them. They are nocturnal and you will only see them open right after the lights come on. During the day they just look like a tube up to about an inch long. If that's what you have, they aren't harmful. Think of them like zoas and palys.

OP
OP
TMC

TMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it might be a snake polyp. I used to have a small colony of them. They are nocturnal and you will only see them open right after the lights come on. During the day they just look like a tube up to about an inch long. If that's what you have, they aren't harmful. Think of them like zoas and palys.
Thats kinda how it acts I've only seen it open once pretty cool

OP
OP
TMC

TMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Medium flow, medium light is best, but the paly types aren’t too picky.
It is a medium flow area there are three but only saw the one open so far, do they like any kind of particular parameters? This is on a rock that came with the mess 2 months ago and has just recently made themselves known in the new tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Purple death paly and will multiply in time. I have a colony of them which bother nothing but they can deposit a head here and there in the tank

Back