What is Moni rock?

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a fish store out in the country that had three types of rock. Pukani, Fiji, and Moni. I know what Pukani and Fiji rock is but what is Moni rock? The employee said that all three of the rocks have been there for many years. Any one know the origin of the rock? Is this a rock that wild harvested prior to a collection? Any info on the rock? Where is it from? Bought a piece of the rock and have it in a holding tank with some other live rock. A few pictures of what the store called Moni rock

8687408B-4652-4ED1-9B66-260C88326E2B.jpeg ECCBE074-B9DE-433B-AA6D-80354A289DE4.jpeg FAAD6F3B-29B2-4325-BF8D-6F52F08ED904.jpeg 7A6F7859-C7C1-4895-9D97-1F9DA7D775AE.jpeg 33870DED-727B-468E-B19C-7BB027D31625.jpeg

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like Marco rock available from Florida, dry mined rock.

Perhaps "moni" is a local slang or miscommunication at some level.

I know a local guy who calls different trout family strains as "strands". He has a very strong accent....I have even seen this "strand" referenced on social media sites in the same area as to where he lives.

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like Marco rock available from Florida, dry mined rock.

Perhaps "moni" is a local slang or miscommunication at some level.

I know a local guy who calls different trout family strains as "strands". He has a very strong accent....I have even seen this "strand" referenced on social media sites in the same area as to where he lives.
That is what I first though when I saw it in the holding tank far away but when I picked it up it just looks different structural wise rounded corners kind of looks like some pukani pieces but without the characteristic pores that pukani has. The pukani and the Fiji rocks they are selling are pukani and Fiji

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the marco I have...it could be from a different quarry source, but still looks like a quarried rock. Maybe it was old rock bought out of a hobbyist tank and is more seasoned and eroded.

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the marco I have...it could be from a different quarry source, but still looks like a quarried rock. Maybe it was old rock bought out of a hobbyist tank and is more seasoned and eroded.
Interesting yes I do not know what established Marco rock looks like

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it really just looks like a florida base rock that was tank matured.

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope it is not Marco rock. If so good thing I only bought one piece. I did find an island named Moni in the Aegean Sea near Athens Greece. That that would be a lot more interesting!

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caribsea has a rock called Moani. Your LFS probably misspelled it. I recently bought 150 lbs of Moani Rock from AquariumSpecialty.com. received the boxes a few days ago and it seems very high quality... but a bit heavy. I have no experience other experiences with mined rock. The Moani is supposed to be coated with bacteria to kick start the cycling process. If has tiny pink spots on it that looks like coralline algae (but its not).

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caribsea has a rock called Moani. Your LFS probably misspelled it. I recently bought 150 lbs of Moani Rock from AquariumSpecialty.com. received the boxes a few days ago and it seems very high quality... but a bit heavy. I have no experience other experiences with mined rock. The Moani is supposed to be coated with bacteria to kick start the cycling process. If has tiny pink spots on it that looks like coralline algae (but its not).

That's probably it!

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is probably what it is considering the 4.99/lb ‘live’ rock price where the pukani was 7.99/lb

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna try to drill out small holes in the tock to increase surface area and lighten the rock. Never tried it before. Keeping fingers crossed that they dont shatter on me.

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna try to drill out small holes in the tock to increase surface area and lighten the rock. Never tried it before. Keeping fingers crossed that they dont shatter on me.
Let me know how it goes I have about 100lbs of Florida live rock that I bought for the tank sitting in water that I was going to use for the tank but got lucky and found some good pukani from a well maintained established tank and when with that instead

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 56.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back