What is NH4? Proper levels for reef tank and how to maintain those levels?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfactor the ammonia that's a perfect range. It's not part of any stated concern here

Having a cloudy dry rock start isn't uncommon, sometimes sand silting causes it. Not uncommon

Only concern if your free ammonia hits tenths and holds, you're a long way from that. Search for clouding causes unrelated to cycling if ammonia is now that low, from a prior high

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfactor the ammonia that's a perfect range. It's not part of any stated concern here

Having a cloudy dry rock start isn't uncommon, sometimes sand silting causes it. Not uncommon

Only concern if your free ammonia hits tenths and holds, you're a long way from that. Search for clouding causes unrelated to cycling if ammonia is now that low, from a prior high
Only reason I was thinking precipitation was particulates I could physically see in water. White, cloudy. Im now feeling water column bacterial bloom is culprit.
I went from solid Ph of 8.2 to 8.3 swings with my lighting cycle.
I changed salt during system swap as well.
Livestock is OK. Some shrooms look irritated.
I'm not concerned with .005 ammonia I'm sure it will trend back down.
I feel like water column is kinda going through its own bacterial cycle.
Driving me totally crazy that I can't check my params due to cloudy water throwing off testing.
The stuck PH was the concerning part more than anything. Still is

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's what I think.
Bacteria bloom in water column is throwing seneye off.
I take it out. Put in established system everything at least tracks the way it has been for 2 months ive had it.
Just have to wait out bacterial bloom and see how things are looking.
Can always throw shrooms back in table if doesn't clear up or start looking better tomorrow.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir. One quick last question and I know I'm jumping around a little.
I believe I experienced precipitation setting up my new tank. I didnt properly mix my salt and wait overnight and probably added a bunch more than I needed to bringing my salinity up.
Now that I have my PH down to 8.34 can I expect the precipitation to dissolve back into the water at lower PH?
If not im wondering if I can remove the cloudy water by running through a 5micron sock.
Getting nervous not being able to test my parameters with the cloudy water.

No, calcium carbonate will not redissolve (if that is what it is).

It will eventually disappear from sight and the cloudiness will settle out

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright since you said it now my brain is heading down that rabbit hole. Do you have data or what have you seen in research as far as accuracy with PH?
TBH im not entirely sure what to believe based on cloudiness of new tank and how accurate any tool of measurement would be right now.
I have my OG system set up on opposite wall and dropping the seneye in that water its reading in line like it always has.
I can say the temp has been fluctuating by 1 degree in New tank while my other 2 probes in New tank are rigjt in line with eachother.
Making me think seneye may be a little wonky right now.

On my new tank think this is day 3 I did soak the slide for 24 hours prior to installing. The seneye says the PH is 7.68 and my GHL says 8.02.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my new tank think this is day 3 I did soak the slide for 24 hours prior to installing. The seneye says the PH is 7.68 and my GHL says 8.02.
Thats a huge discrepancy. Thanks for heads up. To date i have been able to spot check PH against API as well as have LFS dbl check my findings. Api reads a little low but LFS was able to confirm previous results to seneye using salifert and red sea. The girl at lfs was interested in it for her system so she checked it a cpl different times and it was spot on.
Im not sure how accurate seneye is in newly established water. I def didnt have these kind of issues in my established system. I'm afraid I'm just spinning wheels until this cloudiness goes away atm.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've mentioned multiple times that this is a new tank. Are you dosing 2-part into a new tank? If so, what are your parameters, over the last few weeks, for Ca, Alk, and Mg?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting UV sterilizer online when I get home today.
Total system transfer/upgrade.
Never did get a chance to properly test new salt mix during upgrade before the bloom hit. Really should have.
I wouldnt be concerned if some of my shrooms didn't look irritated but some do. Otherwise I am letting it ride out. I kind of expected cloudy water bloom just never experienced one that lasted more than a day or 2 during last system upgrade or big water changes. I changed 100% water during this upgrade.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you rule out sand silting and clouding/curious if a test corner disturbed releases any mass clouding

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes barebottom system. My rock did carry over whatever silt and sand the rock boring creatures brought but I hung 5micron sock under overflows yesterday and am filtering whatever is suspended. Def bacterial bloom in water column.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home today and set up UV sterilizer and within a few hrs had tank water nearly cleared. Should be 100% tomorrow id imagine.

One thing thats totally perplexing is my PH. Regardless if its reading PH accurate. One thing is for certain. My PH is actually being lowered by hooking up outside airline. Ive checked that several times now. Idk if its because my water chemistry is out of whack and need to build proper balance in water column.
Or if this new tank is just that much more efficient set up that it is equalizing co2 and oxygen.
@Randy Holmes-Farley I think I seen you post about skimmer lowering your PH. Am I on right track with my thinking here?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know how pH impacts the accuracy of a total pH measurement by kit, or by Seneye.

At higher pH there is more NH3 and less NH4+.
It appears that Seneye is using a colorimetric polymer like the one found in the Seachem ammonia test kit and is using a photometer to measure the color change. Such polymeric films have pore sizes that only let NH3 through. The color change could be independent of pH. Seneye pH appears to be measured by a similar polymer.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home today and set up UV sterilizer and within a few hrs had tank water nearly cleared. Should be 100% tomorrow id imagine.

One thing thats totally perplexing is my PH. Regardless if its reading PH accurate. One thing is for certain. My PH is actually being lowered by hooking up outside airline. Ive checked that several times now. Idk if its because my water chemistry is out of whack and need to build proper balance in water column.
Or if this new tank is just that much more efficient set up that it is equalizing co2 and oxygen.
@Randy Holmes-Farley I think I seen you post about skimmer lowering your PH. Am I on right track with my thinking here?

If the pH is below 8.1 and the alk is 7 dKH or above, it is not possible that aeration with normal outdoor air will cause pH lowering.

Perhaps hooking up the outside air is limiting the air getting to the skimmer and it is getting less aeration than without the line hooked up.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the pH is below 8.1 and the alk is 7 dKH or above, it is not possible that aeration with normal outdoor air will cause pH lowering.

Perhaps hooking up the outside air is limiting the air getting to the skimmer and it is getting less aeration than without the line hooked up.
Ok thank you. Whats crazy is im using same skimmer and airlines on new tank. Total water volume shrunk maybe 20 gallons during upgrade.
I honestly believe this bacteria bloom in water column has thrown seneye off.
Good news is uv sterilizer knocked the cloudiness out.
I'm going to check params today and report back. I have a feeling seneye will settle in as water column straightens out over next couple days. At least that's what im hoping for.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back