What is on my clown fish?

Johnpaul86

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I need help with my clown fish.
I have all my fish in qt currently and finishing 5 weeks of copper power at or above 2.5ppm + metro plex throughout the duration. I am now on to deworming with prazipro and on the second dose currently. I am also feeding api general cure + focus as I noted white stringy poop. I am doing this because I noted my purple tang swiming in flow and thought to be safer than sorry. Have had no symptoms of anything other than the poop while in qt. Well about between the end of copper and beginning of prazipro my clown of 10 years started getting these two spots on her face. I think it is Lymphocystis but want a second opinion. Thanks for any help.

20210401_212024.jpg 20210401_212111.jpg 20210401_212119.jpg 20210401_212123.jpg 20210401_211336.jpg 20210401_211943.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like the onset of brooklynella which typically affects clowns mainly. The copper safe and metro will have no adverse effect in treatment of such. This is also a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first. At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade.
As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise.
You can start with a saltwater dip for temporary relief. The treatment of choice is formalin based treatment. Typically a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease. A good form of formalin is either API quick cure or ruby rally pro.
As for the observed white poop, are you by chance feeding fish brine shrimp or mysis shrimp or both ?

OP
OP
Johnpaul86

Johnpaul86

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so sure its brook, could explain why you think it is? Nothing new was added to the tank fish wise for years and nothing wet for the better part of 6 months. And no fish ever showed signs of anything other than some white poop and tang to surfing a power head once in awhile. I only put them in to qt and treated out of caution not so much because thing where going bad. The clown only has those few two spots and all else is how she has normally looked for years. Thanks for the quick response.

Back