What is something you did or something you wish you knew when you first started this hobby?

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is something you did or something you wish you knew when you first started this hobby? Just asking as I am about to set up my first saltwater tank soon. Thanks!

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things I wish I new:
An average dollar amount of what it would cost me to set up, maintain, and stock my tank
How much research you need
How much patience you need
Some others that are too specific to list. Those are the most broad ones I can think of

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had known;
How to properly calibrate things (test equipment, dosing equipment).
What the propose of equipment was before purchasing.
Wait and buy the right thing first. Don't buy a cheap version today because eventual you will buy what you want and it will cost more in the long run.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting my first year I wish I knew that to do this hobby well....you really need about $5,000 towards top-notch equipment

It's similar to going out to buy your first pleasure boat....you have no idea the amt of money you're about to spend

Raining Money GIF by memecandy

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is something you did or something you wish you knew when you first started this hobby? Just asking as I am about to set up my first saltwater tank soon. Thanks!
A lid is extremely important. Seems like any fish can jump, whether a rare occurrence or otherwise. We lost a beatiful clarkii this way, was super bummed. We loved that fish.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew that the cost of setting up the tank was nothing compared to the cost afterward.

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 for me would be patience
#2 would be something they say on BRS all the time now that I you should follow - pick one method or mentor don't try to boil the ocean or make your own way, you're going to fail (I did)

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I knew it was a expensive hobby. I wish I had more patience and more knowledge at the beginning. Things can quickly get out of hand if you don’t do your research. I still learn new things everyday in the reef.

OneSockERock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first year is most likely going to suck and be frustrating. Accept that you just gotta ride it out and manage the losses while you wait for true stability.

Related to the above, don't buy expensive frags that you're going to be mad and want to quit when they die. Keep it cheap frag-wise while you test the waters quite literally.

It's a black hole of time and money, it's unavoidable. Someone on here said it best before... Reefing is a full time job that you'll need a full time job to pay for.

Seriously consider setting up QT tanks (Fish & Invert/Coral separately) from the get go. There are different schools of thought on QT practices on these forums, at the very least research on whether or not it's right for you at this time. It can save you a world of troubles and will be an important skill to have as you expand your livestock over the coming years but it's not easy and there are a lot of tough lessons to learn here.

I know it's easy to do with a new hobby and I'm guilty of it too, but don't neglect family/friends and priorities around you for your tanks. It will only create tension and animosity down the line. Get your family involved if you can, if not, prioritize them over your tank. Annoying your SO about all things reef tank is a right of passage here, just keep it in check lol.

That said, welcome to the hobby! The knowledge you'll gain, the problem solving you'll experience and the challenges you'll overcome will make every morning and night staring at your corals and pets that much better.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Focusing more on nitrate and phosphate stability.

Not relying on water changes to solve problems.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I’d know how just about impossible getting the water chemistry right is and I wouldn’t of even bothered.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back