What is that!! A R2R guide to common new tank hitchhikers.

BadAsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! New to the salt water game and new to the forum. I have this strange oval collection of.. well I'm not sure so I thought I'd ask those who know. I'm not sure if I should be concerned. Picture quality is fairly terrible. Thanks!
1580582211339283671048713827429.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! New to the salt water game and new to the forum. I have this strange oval collection of.. well I'm not sure so I thought I'd ask those who know. I'm not sure if I should be concerned. Picture quality is fairly terrible. Thanks!

Snail eggs

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snail eggs, cerith I believe :)

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Cerith snail eggs.

BadAsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you! Appreciate the welcome! I'm assuming these won't make it or am I about to have to many snails? Only 3 fish in the tank 2 clowns and a three color fairy wrasse

yan2pr

I grow GHA better than anything else
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys know what is this? I havent been able to find any information on that stick coming out of my GSP. I tried breaking it off but it grows back.
20200209_124948~2.jpg

Thanks in advance

musicthriller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU ANSWER**

I can't for the life of me find any info on this crustacean. I found it a couple days ago while flashing my flashlight late at night doing my "rounds". I saw a tiny (like two millimeters max) pod like animal retract into a teeny tiny tube against the glass in the sand bed. I could see eyes on this little creature.

I managed to catch one and put it under a microscope and here it is. You can see in the first picture on the bottom right a type of amphipod for reference.

It IS NOT a pod. It has distinctive claws much like a mantis or something similar. I tried matching pictures of several known shrimp and couldn't find anything that matched.

Help?

IMG_20200306_024340.jpg
IMG_20200306_024538.jpg

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU ANSWER** can't for the life of me find any info on this crustacean. I found it a couple days ago while flashing my flashlight late at night doing my "rounds". I saw a tiny (like two millimeters max) pod like animal retract into a teeny tiny tube against the glass in the sand bed. I could see eyes on this little creature.

I managed to catch one and put it under a microscope and here it is. You can see in the first picture on the bottom right a type of amphipod for reference.

It IS NOT a pod. It has distinctive claws much like a mantis or something similar. I tried matching pictures of several known shrimp and couldn't find anything that matched.

Help?

IMG_20200306_024340.jpg
IMG_20200306_024538.jpg
Look like tanaidacean.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anybody found anything new in their tank lately?

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Twisted1990s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the greatest things about starting a reef tank is getting your live rock in and admiring all the diversity within it. The rock comes to life different creatures. This is a guide that I, along with a very well known critter identifier @KJ , have put together for the new reefer on what these hitchhikers are and whether they're a keeper or to pull them out.

Bristleworm -
Eurythoe.jpg

Very common good hitchhiker. The jury is out on whether they're beneficial or not. Most consider them a vital part of your clean up crew. The hide within your live rock, coming out to pick up scraps of food and other detritus. Their numbers can become overwhelming based off how much food is available in the tank. If you overfeed, and they have access to an abundance of food, their numbers will increase dramatically. Be careful not to touch as the bristles on the sides of their bodies can be very irritating and cause an allergic reaction in some.

Fireworm -
bearded-fireworm_9813.jpg

Bad hitchhiker. Similar to the bristle worm, however if stung by the bristles on this little guy, its 10 times worse. DO NOT TOUCH UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! If found it is best to remove with a trap.

Pineapple Sponges -
DSC04626_Sponge_Pineapple-vi.jpg

Very common good hitchhiker. These little guys are a type of sponge. They are most commonly found in overflows and in high flow areas of the sump. However, they can sometimes bee seen in shaded areas of your rockwork.

Asterina Starfish -
7MNZ66-2-20160704-124010.jpg

Another common neutral hitchhiker. Jury is out on these guys as to good or bad. Some people love them, some hate them. They've been rumored to munch on coralline algae. They are also known to multiply very rapidly. Manual removal when seen is best to control their numbers.

Aiptasia -
Aiptasia.jpg

Bad hitchhiker. This is a type of anemone that multiplies very quickly, and stings and kills anything that gets near it. Depended on how many you have, they're best removed by manually scraping them off the rock, and then using epoxy/superglue/kalk paste over where they were to prevent them coming back. A few predators that you can get for them include the peppermint shrimp, berghia nudibranch, and with a large enough tank, copperband butterflyfish.

Majano -
majano7.jpg

Bad Hitchhiker. This is another pest anemone that multiplies quickly and stings anything near it. Best removed by manual scraping off and super glue/epoxy/kalk past over its spot. Peppermint shrimp will reportedly consume them as well.

Vermedit Snail -
vermetid_hop.jpg

Very common neutral hitchhiker. They are generally harmless, but can multiply quickly based off nutrients in the tank, and can irritate corals. Manual removal or starving them out by putting a dab of superglue on the end of the tube is best to keep their numbers in check, as well as nutrient control.

Spirorbid Worm -
serpuliabigger.jpg

Very common neutral hitchhiker. These guys are most commonly found in overflows, and high flow areas of your sump. Can multiply very quickly and have been rumored to disrupt equipment such as pumps. Nutrient control keeps their numbers in check.

Ball Anemone -
aquarium-frogmanx82.jpg

Common neutral hitchhiker. They are found in shaded areas of live rock, and tend to not bother anything and numbers are kept in check with nutrient control. Are removed by the same means as the aiptasia and majano.

Stomatella Snail -
Stomatella-Varia.jpg

Very good hitchhiker. These guys are a great clean up crew member. They can be very elusive and most commonly found after lights out and are very fast moving. They feed off different algae in the tank.

Copepod/Isopod/Amphipod -
copepod2.jpg

upload_2018-8-22_22-7-8.jpeg

pods1.jpg

Very good hitchhikers. Often referred to as simply "pods" These little guys live within your rock work and make great food for your fish and corals. They can be the primary diet of certain mandarins.

Spaghetti Worm -
screen-shot-2013-11-10-at-3-07-02-pm.png

Good hitchhiker. Commonly found in the sand bed or live rock. They extend out multiple tentacles to catch floating detritus. Good member of your clean up crew.

Hydroids -
hydroids-3-reefs.jpg
upload_2018-8-22_22-19-56.jpeg

Bad hitchhikers. Good news is that they don't tend to live very long and die off on their own as the tank progresses.

Sponges -
yellow_sponge_macro_0.jpg

Good hitchhiker. Very common filter feeders. Found in shaded areas of live rock

Serpent And Brittle Starfish -
6512_ef69320d-dce0-40e9-a6dd-4c0e5429f208.jpeg

1568__25907.1335122583.jpg

Good hitchhikers. Are most commonly found by the arms extending out from cracks and holes in rock work. Feed off leftover food and detritus in the tank.

Bobbit Worm -
BobbitWormBluePlanet.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Very bad hitchhiker. These guys can grow to be very large and can kill fish. Most common means of removal is to remove the entire rock where the worm is housed. Be careful of the pincer teeth at the head of the worm.

Tunicate -
11240123%20Phallusia%20julinea%20-%20Tunicate.jpg

Good hitchhiker. Harmless filter feeder. At first glance looks like a sponge, except it pulses as it takes in and expels water, and reacts to touching it.

Limpet -
limpet-reefs.jpg

Good hitchhiker. Consumes algae. Don't seem to bother anything.

Chiton -
Chiton_04.jpg

Good hitchhiker. Consumes algae. Does not appear to bother anything.

Peanut Worm -
sipunculid.jpg

Good hitchhiker. Lives in live rock and feeds off of extra food and detritus.

Gorilla Crab -
gorilla-crab-reefs.jpg

Bad hitchhiker. Can be found in live rock cracks, caves and holes. They are predatory and will hunt your shrimp and inverts. They can also grow rather large.

I did not cover Nudibranch, Snails, or Flatworms in this thread as there are far to many variations to cover. If you have an unknown, please create a thread or post it in this thread and we'll try our best to ID it for you. If you have any additions to the list please PM me and I'll review it and add to the list.

BadAsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just noticed this finger like appendage on this astrea. It appears to have maybe eggs in a grape like formation. Thoughts? Pic is zoomed and pretty terrible

15861198678558520437390573045858.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back