What is that thing that you don’t really need, but you definitely want for your reef?

What is that thing that you don’t really need, but you definitely want for your reef?

• Top End Pump

Votes: 19 5.6%
  • Top End Lights

Votes: 60 17.7%
  • Top End Tank

Votes: 61 18.0%
  • Testing machine

Votes: 153 45.1%
  • Artwork

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • Other

Votes: 32 9.4%

• Total voters

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it’s a top end tank from Reef Savvy. And that’s the tank I bought. I’ve been waiting for it over 2 years now. Some would call me crazy but I’m ok with it as I know it’s a top tier tank.
Wait... you purchased the tank and have been waiting for it for over 2 years...?

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spongebob squarepants pineapple house, all my aquarists friends have it, and I feel like the odd one out

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't need a UV Sterilizer, but, given needing to clean my glass every day (At least once a day to keep it clean), a right sized UV could save 5-9 hours a week of glass cleaning.

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't need a UV Sterilizer, but, given needing to clean my glass every day (At least once a day to keep it clean), a right sized UV could save 5-9 hours a week of glass cleaning.
I didn't know a UV Sterilizer would do that!? I officially am changing my want to a need.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know a UV Sterilizer would do that!? I officially am changing my want to a need.
The UV Should be powerful enough to kill slime algae cells in the water column. This reduces the amount of algae that can build up on the glass is my understanding.

If you have high nutrients (as I do), algae starts growing on the glass as soon as I clean the glass because all the cells are still alive and free floating. As the water goes through the sump and through a UV back to the display, those recently scraped off cells would most likely be dead. Or many of them would now be dead cycling through the filtration being skimmed out or removed through the filter socks, what have you. It would take longer for algae populations to repopulate the glass. I talk to a reefing buddy last night that he doesn't need to clean his glass more than once a week and then it's just starting to grow on. I don't know his nutrient levels, but a right sized or overpowered UV would definitely reduce the need for scraping glass.

I guess it should be a need, I just am having a tough time justifying the cost of UV. Something for a 300-400 gallon water volume would need to be a $1000 UV, then plumbing it in properly so the sterilized water goes into the display not the sump. It's work. . .

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM25 AIO with a APEX A3, Radion XR15 G6 blue and two Nero 3s. For some reason I’m convinced I need a trident for this little bitty tank but I know I don’t. Sure am gonna buy one though probably

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean....for me the whole dang thing is a "want, " LOL! For the most part, reliable and affordable is what I'm looking for. I've fallen for the Neptune SKY and Ecotech MP40s, though XD so I'm probably getting those.
^^Agreed!^^
As I live I get less distracted by wants and try to focus upon needs or improvements to keep the captive inhabitants happy, thriving and safe.

For me, the needs and wants list is getting smaller.
what do you need.jpg
I'm not always sure which is which. :)

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for me it would be a doser? I've been dosing by hand for a few years but I'd really love to be able to automate that

piggled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered myself an API Aquaspin! Should be here sometime next week. Well, my LFS was kind enough to order it for me.

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait... you purchased the tank and have been waiting for it for over 2 years...?
Yeah man it’s been awhile. Problem with glass manufacture not his end. He at least is buying his own equipment to cut his own glass and. It rely on other people. I knew before the pandemic he had a long wait time. And it just made it worse. It’s in all industries, even the automotive where I’m waiting on a dash from one company for about 6-8 months now.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s amazing. I went a little bonkers when I first got it. Testing 3 tanks twice a day. But now I have amazing data points!
I am saving for it. I was going to buy a used one but it sold boohoo! So expensive but worth it I know there’s issues with it but like anything accuracy can be off and I’d rather this than a Trident.

Willhersh34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll go with a monitor and controller. I sort of have control using DC devices and Alexa plugs and power strips. But an actual controller and monitoring solution would take my reef next level.

in my own mind anyway……..

piggled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am saving for it. I was going to buy a used one but it sold boohoo! So expensive but worth it I know there’s issues with it but like anything accuracy can be off and I’d rather this than a Trident.
I got it just so I can test all the water, fresh made, and a couple reef tanks. The trident is cool for sure, but I personally hate how it looks and the general direction Neptune systems went since I left the hobby 10 years ago. And yes, I have questioned its accuracy, and double checked with my Hana checkers and titration tests and it’s actually pretty darn close. I’d say within any reasonable margin of error. The only problems I see coming up is in the low range phosphates and nitrates. Lowest it goes of phosphates is .1 below that you still gotta test with something else. And nitrates are 1. But having every test separated out based on tank/location and being able to show specific individual measurements on any combination of tanks is really really helpful and saves soooooooo much time. Definitely worth the price. To put all those number into a spread sheet etc would be quite labor intensive. It has helped my testing because it is just so dang easy.

Phil Steel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invested in the alkatronic/dosetronic but soooo want to change to GHL!

If we are talking about more toys, a PAR meter wouldn’t hurt as well!

Back