What is the absolute best food to feed RBTA? to feed or not to feed...

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys here is my question,to feed or not to feed. I've heard people talk about feeding their anemones 3-4 times a week that seems like a lot of food to me, I've also heard people that don't feed them (anemones) at all and have great success. Whats your guys experience with these creatures! mine is happy without feeding but can it really go forever without eating? if you do feed what are you feeding? what works and what doesn't or what is the best thing to feed a RBTA I have tried gel binders and that has been unsuccessful, also have tried pellets and mysis which it accepts every once in a while.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont feed mine anything but what it catches from feeding the fish, light and stable parameters.

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feed often, maybe once awhile with LPS max. They are extremely happy and my one Rainbow bubble tip now equal to 4.
looks like im going to have to give that a go! I do already feed Microvert and Coral accel with essential elements, hopefully that wont go to overboard on the nutrient load.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I fed my RBTA for the first couple years in the hobby they did very poorly, I killed a couple, and they split rarely. The following 10 years I've not purposely fed them a single time and they're thriving and I gain one or two new anemones per month

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always fed cocktail shrimp uncooked cleaned and shell off. Normally once a week. The size of the meal depends on the health of the anemone. I would also start with a small portion and go from there. If the anemone is hungry it will take it down quickly.

LuckyEd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160325_130218.jpg
I feed my Ultra RBTA small pieces of shrimp, clams or scallops every four days.

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there.. I would consider myself pretty successful with BTA's... I don't usually feed them. The clowns will sometimes and the neme's will gather stray mysis from a fish feed....occasionally, I might give one a lil mysis directly if they look like they need it...I have 20+ right now. They split all the time ...and I thin the herd when I get a "glass walker" or easy catch with a post on CL. Nothing like making a few $$ now and then off the nemes considering how much I've spent on this addiction!
image.jpg

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking at them, they kinda seem designed to eat. Perhaps not just eat, but to capture and eat large live things. I mean, it's not like an agressive carpet anemone, but they're definitely not designed to rely upon zooxanthellae/photosynthesis alone.

I feed mine thawed krill and cut silversides, one or the other, once a week.

ParadiseReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have clowns hosting the anemone nothing, the clowns will feed it. I've had great success feeding krill once a week. My anemones have grown and split quite Heathy..

Carolina Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have the opposite experience. This anemone hosts a pair of ocellaris clowns, and they steal food from the anemone. I have to fend them off with a turkey baster while the anemone eats. I feed the clowns really well before feeding the anemone, but they will literally take food from the anemone and just let it go. I think it's because they don't like it when the anemone closes to eat.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns didn't host for years and I still didn't feed them :shrug:

FishOfHex

Reefer & 3D Printer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys here is my question,to feed or not to feed. I've heard people talk about feeding their anemones 3-4 times a week that seems like a lot of food to me, I've also heard people that don't feed them (anemones) at all and have great success. Whats your guys experience with these creatures! mine is happy without feeding but can it really go forever without eating? if you do feed what are you feeding? what works and what doesn't or what is the best thing to feed a RBTA I have tried gel binders and that has been unsuccessful, also have tried pellets and mysis which it accepts every once in a while.
back when i used to have a RBTA i fed it mysis with a turkey baster about twice a week. Felt like the more i fed it the more it split after a while i got sick of him splitting and going and sitting on top of the sps so they all had to go. Done feed to big of chucks they just spit it out and it then intern rots.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back