What is the approach to introducing clownfish and anemones

TAHK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.
I have a relatively new tank (couple of months) with several (5) fishes and sparse corals. The system volume is 330 gallons. The parameters are Alk 8, Ca415, Mg 1200 all relatively stable.
I have strong circulation with two powerful returns and 2 Octo4’s all positioned on top for acros. Light is ATI hybrid 4 bulbs with full strength for 10 hours/day. I am going to take PAR measurements later in the week.

In the past, in my original system long time ago, I had great success with maroon clown fish and anemone (bubble tip). At the time I bought these it was a pair of clowns that were already matched to anemone. They lived for 2.5 years. Of note, the clowns were not mean at all.

My wife and kids want Nemo of course. I would like to have an anemone and a pair of clowns (not designer, but regular wild phenotype with two-three stripes). What are your suggestions giving that the tank is relatively new but doing well:
Do I go with the clowns, which seem pretty hardy, and add anemone later?
Do I try to find a mated pair adapted to anemone and introduce all at the same time?
Do I put the anemone first and introduce clowns later and show them the video of the other clowns in anemone?
I know that anemones do better in established tanks. However, I’d rather introduce it to the tank sooner rather than later since I would have to plan the coral scape around it to an extent.
Any constructive thoughts are appreciated. Thank you, all, for advice.

ADDAEF14-DC22-4484-BEE4-F0103FEBBF74.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO the best result would be to wait a while longer, then get a BTA and get it fixed into your tank. Then get a mated pair, or a very young pair of clowns.

Roger D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a low flow spot or they'll move and they seem to try to get out of the flow by going to the backside of the power heads. Not what you want to see first thing in the morning.

Roger D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I've had best luck letting the clowns find the nem rather than trying to force them to it. One of my clowns likes green star polyps.

I’m Batman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I put the anemone first and introduce clowns later and show them the video of the other clowns in anemone?

Doesn’t matter who you introduce to the tank first. Show the clowns the video, they’ll take it from there.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back