What is the best/cheapest option for testing all parameters of my tank at home?

Amtaylor417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So, I've upgraded to a 110gallon tank with a sump from a 55 gallon with back filters. (i will be getting a protein skimmer for Christmas...lol) I was also using test strips before for testing my water. Which i have now found not to be the most reliable. With my softies and LPS corals growing i really would like to test all parameters of my tank at home. i have been going to the local store and they've been testing my water for me. so far so good after a month with the new tank! I started for the first 3 weeks adding stability to it every other day. and i add magnesium once a week. I would like to be able to test Calcium, magnesium, and basically everything and understand what im actually testing. I have basic knowledge of PH should be at 8.0-8.2 and things like that but looking to learn and know more to help my tank flourish and be happy all the time. any suggestions and pointers would be super helpful. Thank You!!!!!!

20210908_200841.jpg

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy the salifert pack which includes KH, Ca and Mg, also test for NO3.

Don’t by PO4 test kits, must use Hanna

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So, I've upgraded to a 110gallon tank with a sump from a 55 gallon with back filters. (i will be getting a protein skimmer for Christmas...lol) I was also using test strips before for testing my water. Which i have now found not to be the most reliable. With my softies and LPS corals growing i really would like to test all parameters of my tank at home. i have been going to the local store and they've been testing my water for me. so far so good after a month with the new tank! I started for the first 3 weeks adding stability to it every other day. and i add magnesium once a week. I would like to be able to test Calcium, magnesium, and basically everything and understand what im actually testing. I have basic knowledge of PH should be at 8.0-8.2 and things like that but looking to learn and know more to help my tank flourish and be happy all the time. any suggestions and pointers would be super helpful. Thank You!!!!!!

Best answer is not cheapest answer.

Likely the easiest 'cheap' option is call around an have LFS do test. However, if you have reef tank (you mention calcium...) then you should be testing frequently (weekly for some, monthly others, BUT as your reef matures these can become daily test and dose is ideal). Frequent testing isn't cheap having LFS do it, because those little $2 per test (phosphate, calcium, magnesium, & alk =$10, but that LFS does ph, ammonia, nitrite, LR nitrate, salinity for free) fees add up. It's just cheap out of gate using LFS if you are having to work with budget (like me)

Each manufacturer's test kits are rated differently, and I don't have the 'top' for each type easily locatable. Before Spring 2022 i'm likely going to something automated using reagents, because I don't enjoy the test kits I have (except Hanna ULR Phosphorus) because of the oodles of steps, etc needed... None say stand on your head, but I feel like some come just short of that step (like Hanna Nitrate LR)... notice I've got the same manufacturer as both my favorite for 1 test and hate for another... It's too bad many simple kits aren't known to be accurate.

"start where you are, use what you have, do what you can" - Arthur Ashe, tennis player

EDIT: that Hanna ULR Phosphorus kit I love, do still have to use conversion chart to get to phosphate:

Weyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

20210908_200841.jpg
this post Take the words out of my mouth...
I am also in the same dilemma
I really want to know more about it and don't have any clue

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from BRS , I use api test for nitrate / ph / calcium. Hanna for alk and phosphate. Red Sea for magnesium but I rarely test that.

FOWLR testing is easier compared to reef tank testing

I have SeaChem magnesium and I rarely test magnesium because I dislike my test.

If I had test kit purchase decision to do over, I would have researched instructions for each kit type before purchase, in addition to kit recommendations. At this point, I'm not considering doing replacement brands' test kits for the test kits I have and dislike because I think MY long term approach is automated testing. Not everyone will come to this same decision

I should have realized my tolerance for testing/playing chemist would get old and I'd be looking at either Neptune Trident or Mastertronics for testing automation. Aquashella is coming to Dallas end of October, and hoping to see automated testers in person.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back