What is the best chemical for getting rid of this algae and what animal would eat the algae off the sand???

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at Brightwell razor and vibrant and Dino-x because the algae I have in my tank I don’t know what it is. image.jpg
image.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are short term fixes only.
It will just return.
The system looks new “ish” so ensure your nutrients levels are on point and stable, add some bacteria, dash of phytoplankton daily….and it will go on its own.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank and what are your parameters? Don’t be so quick to dump chemicals in your tank.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano. Just keep nitrate detectable and phosphate at the recommended value. You can try and dose some bacterial blends (NOT cycling bacteria) and see if that does anything.

Phil Steel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d stay away from chemicals first. Siphon off the sand when you schedule your next water change and make sure you’re parameters are where they need to be…not necessarily chasing numbers but you can’t be bottomed out. I’m a big fan of dosing mb7 weekly as well.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is cyano and often chemicals are alternatives and not solution. This can be siphoned easily but also assure Phosphate not elevated. This is one to treat/beat naturally and quickly.
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

If it gets worse, I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons which serves as an oxidizer. Add a pouch of chemipure blue which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those algaecides are ineffective against cyano, which is what yours appears to be.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • None.

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.4%
Back