What is the BEST coral in the hobby right now? Do you know?

The BEST coral in the hobby right now is.....

• a particular SPS piece.

Votes: 104 25.6%
  • a particular LPS piece.

Votes: 194 47.7%
  • a particular Soft Coral or Mushroom.

Votes: 51 12.5%
  • a particular Zoanthid.

Votes: 27 6.6%
  • a particular NPS piece.

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 28 6.9%

• Total voters

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are too many that really catch my eye that I can't put my finger on just one. Heck, I can't go to the fish store without walking out with a coral. Lately I have been bargain buying, I pick the nicest $5-10 frag and then rehab it back to life then give it to my brother or son.....

Torches are my all time favorite, and zoas have really started to take me over.... but I wouldn't mind having a Grand Master Krak in my tank, but my wallet and the pentagon say NO (and by Pentagon, I mean my wife)

ForrestGump

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I have a coral in my tank that I spent more than $30 for. My current fav in my tank is my PC rainbow. It is developing some nice colors. I want to get a Walt Disney eventually. One of our local reefers has it and I will figure out a way to get a piece eventually.

andrecr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm seeing a trend of crazy gonioporas right now, if I had to bet on the next coral bubble it would be that.
My personal love always goes to Torches/euphylias and Bounce mushrooms. Sad that BJD took me 2 euphylias for now...

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really a subjective topic, but sometimes it's the story of a coral that makes it special/unique. Here is a presumed dead acro that I tossed to the back of the tank. I struggled to keep acros at that time, but later during a re-scape, and when acros started living, I found this one, in this condition just hanging on. Here it was in August 2020
20200809_115643.jpg

Here is a picture today, and it's probably MY favorite/ rare coral, mainly because it came back from almost dead. I named it appropriately after a fellow reefer here on R2R, ScottB suggested the name Rising Phoenix.

20210503_101950.jpg

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goblins Fire Zoas. I know they're not the most expensive or colorful coral, but man I love the color of the green in the center contrasted by the orange outside.

1620055989513.png

If you like the look of those, check out oompa loompa zoas. They're pretty similar and not as spendy.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Overall (and softie) Favorite: GMK Zoa
Bold colors with a well defined, distinct yet delicate structure

1620058532986.png

SPS Favorite: PC rainbow
Large variety of vibrant color
1620058568658.png

LPS Favorite: NY Knicks Torch
Flow of a torch with all 4 major colors represented (Green, purple, gold, blue)
1620058604527.png

Joem820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "best" coral is for sure any that I can keep alive in my tank, so presently Duncans and a mummy-eyed chalice. Having said that I would have to say my favorite is either Duncans or large torches (long enough tentacles that they really move with the current unlike fresh frags that lack the "movement" that I find captivating). Though, and this might be an unpopular opinion, I still think GSP and pulsing xenia are some of the neatest corals in the hobby.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume it means “what is your favorite coral”, in that case, by far the Holy Grail Torch:

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about the “best” but a lot of reefers are in the hype of torches. I just refused to be in the hype and be part of the high price driving force lol

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the 3 most hobby-defining corals are euphyllia, zoas and acros.
Torches and hammers: to people who don't know corals they all think they are anemones since they have long tentacles.
My older brother walked into my bedroom the other day, looked at my tank and says "The clownfish are in the anemone" and leaves. My clowns were in their torch.
Zoas: We all love zoas. Can be cheap or expensive, but at the end of the day they're all colorful. Plus they all have cool names.
Acros: it's the hard stick-looking corals that people think of when they think "coral reef". Some are easy, some are harder. At the end of the day, they all look quite alike except for color and occasionally polyp size.

Thank you for listening to my TED Talk.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Overall (and softie) Favorite: GMK Zoa
Bold colors with a well defined, distinct yet delicate structure

1620058532986.png

SPS Favorite: PC rainbow
Large variety of vibrant color
1620058568658.png

LPS Favorite: NY Knicks Torch
Flow of a torch with all 4 major colors represented (Green, purple, gold, blue)
1620058604527.png
Beautiful!

Vapor_Tsunami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for Plating Montis, especially red caps. They aren't super easy, but the beauty of that is that they can tolerate some problems in the reef, but still are picky enough to help you learn the ropes of SPS. Not to mention they grow huge, fragging is as easy as breaking a tortilla chip, and they come in almost as many colors as Zoas.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • None.

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.8%
Back