What is the BEST coral in the hobby right now? Do you know?

The BEST coral in the hobby right now is.....

• a particular SPS piece.

Votes: 104 25.6%
  • a particular LPS piece.

Votes: 194 47.7%
  • a particular Soft Coral or Mushroom.

Votes: 51 12.5%
  • a particular Zoanthid.

Votes: 27 6.6%
  • a particular NPS piece.

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 28 6.9%

• Total voters

Erikhsf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tenuis, Milli's and any euphyllia will always be my favorite I don't care what color. I love the way they encrust and the flow of the polyps from tiny tenuis to huge 4 head Torch. I also love to see frog spawn or hammer just bubble to giant see-through balloon polyps. 16200815122626093508338720857288.jpg 16200816048463837463594624781873.jpg

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
None of the "new" stuff, that is for sure. The ultra blue, fake colored, Photoshopped stuff of today doesn't hold a candle to the OG pieces. Green Slimer, Pearlberry, Oregon Tort, Leng Sy, etc...These corals actually held their colors in tank and under different lighting. These days they are making browned out torches look red with a little manipulation of the LEDs.

If I ever have to pick my favorite, I say Pearlberry. That goes for yesterday, today, and tomorrow

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I first got into SW, I loved frogspawn, and thought it was pretty weird SPS was all the rage... I think they were hyped up because you had to have super expensive lighting to even think about them.

LPS was looked down on as the poor man's corals. But now adequate lighting is pretty affordable.

Now, frogspawn, hammers and torches are the thing to have. Crazy.

Marlyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty! How hard is it to keep?
It's easy. Nowhere near as flighty as it's cousin the goniopora. I have an LPS/Softies tank (no SPS). It likes medium light and good flow. Doesn't mind some nitrates (I keep mine around 5 but it's been higher) and doesn't appear bothered by higher phosphates (I aim for less than 0.1 but right now they're at 0.17 and it's still happy).

Marlyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I first got into SW, I loved frogspawn, and thought it was pretty weird SPS was all the rage... I think they were hyped up because you had to have super expensive lighting to even think about them.

LPS was looked down on as the poor man's corals. But now adequate lighting is pretty affordable.

Now, frogspawn, hammers and torches are the thing to have. Crazy.
I love my frogspawn, actually.

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chose other - Best coral in the hobby is one you like and put in your tank!! You may have best one that is within your budget. I have several with no name that I like just as much as expensive ones.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Monday and I'm late with the QOTD so let's throw you and me a softball out here today! Well it should be easy to answer but if you think about it, it might be a little harder than you think! Of course the answers are going to vary based on your own personal interest but it should give us a good idea of the best corals available today! So let's GO!

What is the BEST coral in the hobby right now and why do you think so? Fancy names are welcome! :p

PLEASE POST A PHOTO IF YOU GOT ONE!

image via @TCK Corals
DSC_0252 copy_zpsltoceale.jpg
Personally? The hottest piece on the market is some certain bounce mushrooms.. Like my Powerball? Thats hot.

For the hobby? I think Torches are the hot item right now, the picture in the OP shows it all!

This is a good topic!

germo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have began to love goniopora. I have a cosmic candy goniopora that is my favorite. I also love chalices as well.

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think there are best coral or corals. Its just whatever turned you on, and make a good addition for your reef tank

Back