What is the Best Coral to Recommend to Someone New to the Hobby

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of different corals to choose from, and it can be overwhelming at times for those who are new to the hobby. So I am wondering what corals would you recommend to someone who is new to the hobby and wants to have coral in their tank.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of different corals to choose from, and it can be overwhelming at times for those who are new to the hobby. So I am wondering what corals would you recommend to someone who is new to the hobby and wants to have coral in their tank.
Zoanthids, Ricordea, Xenia, and Mushrooms. These corals can survive in newer tanks. They only require moderate light and pretty forgiving water demands.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids, Ricordea, Xenia, and Mushrooms. These corals can survive in newer tanks. They only require moderate light and pretty forgiving water demands.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this list, add green star polyps, candy cane, toadstools, colt, Kenya tree, palys.

Although now with my tank being potentially overrun with discoma mushrooms if action isn't taken, a hobbyist success with easy corals may leave said successful hobbyist with the box of ugly corals that nobody wants.

I also feel that a newbie to the hobby can be a very general term. Does that newbie have a strong background in biology? Do they have a good mind for reading and learning about corals and with that thought process be able to work with more advanced corals earlier in their hobby venture. Do they just want an easy pretty fish tank with softies and minimal maintenance? Is their inspirational aquarium out of their price range or abilities, but they have confidence they can make it work, but actually take too much on too early?

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you both kind of hit it on the head, consider what some people may call "nuisance" corals.
GSPs, Kenyas, some leathers, etc.
I like all of those and have them all in my tanks ha.

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulsing Xenia, green star polyps, or these yellow polyps

131BF0B8-012B-47DB-9C9E-4D3720B0CBD3.jpeg

All three do not require strong light, flow, and actually enjoy dirty water.

Phil Steel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the above. GSP, leathers and xenia are alll very Harry starter corals but if you want to get them excited with colours and options, zoas, torches and hammers for me.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ricordea, leathers, kenya coral, Xenia. I can't keep most zoas thriving in my mixed reef. It's just a me thing though.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some easy to keep commonly available zoas (it's important to note that some zoas are easier than others)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was new i couldn’t keep zoas , torch , trumpet alive .
Even Xenia were hard to keep alive .

as the system matures the list of what thrives grows

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend Zoas or Palys to a new reefer or to anyone . this coral can make u ill at worst kill u . do not ever recommend this one

Xombie2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia and GSP will spread all over the place. Leather and mushrooms are a good choice.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya tree, GSP on its own island look really good. Zoa's but do wear rubber gloves just to be safe, back in the day for me.. well, we never had issues with Zoa's and never had issues that happen today. IMHO with so much fragging going on now ppl do get irritated and even sick. 20 yrs ago 90% + was direct from the Sea and we didn't think twice of how we handled them.

Anyways..

So yeah as most say GSP, Kenya tree (keep the weed Wacker on stand by lol) they'll drop branches and spread fast. As for GSP just plan ahead where you want them to grow and spread.

Good luck!

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend Zoas or Palys to a new reefer or to anyone . this coral can make u ill at worst kill u . do not ever recommend this ones
Such an Overerarted PoRst!...they are just fine and great for beginners, wear some gloves if you scared bro!!...good Lort! What an awful take!

Back