What is the best cuc addition for algae on sand?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is mostly free of algae, but I have some growing on the sand and slowly spreading. It looks like very short hair algae. My current cuc does not eat it. What would be the best cuc addition to keep this under control or at least help by keeping the sand surface well mixed? I currently have:

- Mexican turbo snails
- A few different types of hermit crabs
- Cerith snails

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of tank. Cucumbers and conchs are good for this. They don't always eat the algae, but they move the sand around a lot, so it has a harder time growing.

The cucumbers need smaller grain size sand and more area or else they can starve.

Edit: I get the best stuff from ReefTopia down in Marathon. You might even be able to collect your own near Tampa, but be sure and follow all of the right rules and licenses and stuff.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of tank. Cucumbers and conchs are good for this. They don't always eat the algae, but they move the sand around a lot, so it has a harder time growing.

The cucumbers need smaller grain size sand and more area or else they can starve.

Edit: I get the best stuff from ReefTopia down in Marathon. You might even be able to collect your own near Tampa, but be sure and follow all of the right rules and licenses and stuff.
It's just 13 gallons.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13g is tough, indeed. Maybe try some nasssarius? They live in the sand and stir it up, but the don't eat algae and are looking for leftover food and stuff. I have never had them live long and I have larger tanks, so I am not the best here. Sorry. I don't know a minimum tank size for a conch - probably work in any tank if you keep it fed, but that could just lead to more algae.

Can you just siphon it out and replace the sand?

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13g is tough, indeed. Maybe try some nasssarius? They live in the sand and stir it up, but the don't eat algae and are looking for leftover food and stuff. I have never had them live long and I have larger tanks, so I am not the best here. Sorry. I don't know a minimum tank size for a conch - probably work in any tank if you keep it fed, but that could just lead to more algae.

Can you just siphon it out and replace the sand?
I had some previously used sand actually tried that but it is coming back. I have been scooping out the sand with algae on it for now. Of course, I need to find a better solution or in a month I won't have any sand in the tank, lol.

tpirovol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conch snail, had the same issue as you a few weeks ago. Go to a store with a bunch and find the smallest one!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try picking up some ceriths and putting them in the middle of the grassy patch... let them eat their way out of there? Just spitballing.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with sand is most snails dont eat what is on the sand, sure nassarius eat off of the sand but rarely algae. In a 13 gallon it gets difficult, I have turbos and trochus and they only touch the sand to get to another rock, never feeding off of it. Best solution is a sand sifting goby, aka diamond or golden head, but your tank is small for one of those. Easiest action is to siphon your sand once a week this is obviously my opinon, but it is what I would do in your situation.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next solution would possibly be some blue leg or scarlet hermits, but they will always go for left over food and such before they resort to algae.

Edit: I have a fighter conch who travels in the sand but doesnt move nearly enough to keep it disturbed to prevent algae growth.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try a conch. I have (2) conchs and they do a good job on my sand bed. I currently have a fighting conch and a tiger sand conch, and neither ever leave the sand, hoovering up stuff 24/7.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back