What is the best deal you’ve gotten on a coral?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading the ‘most expensive coral’ thread and it got me thinking about the flip side of that coin. What is the best deal you’ve gotten on coral? Or what is a coral you’ve purchased that is so pretty or interesting that it should’ve cost more than you paid for it.

For me, the most recent one that comes to mind is a little blue/green/yellow/orange Yuma that I got for $10 (picture doesn’t do it justice). It’s going to be quite pretty (it already is) when it gets bigger, it’s about the size of a quarter right now.

B05EA1A1-DF3C-4BA2-A546-8CED5B29888B.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a SBB Rainbow Eclipse zoa polyp in a live sale for $5. It took longer than expected for the company to ship it and by the time I recieved it there were the begginings of two babies as well. The ironic thing is I didn't even realize it's was a relatively high end zoa until after I had bought it.
Screenshot_20210328-162444_Chrome.jpg

Chuka1212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I snagged a millepora for $1 in a frag sale online, but I was most excited about a pink tip elegance coral I snagged for $40. When I bought it he was slightly smaller than a tennis ball when fully open, now about 3-4 times that big.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best deal I ever got was $9 for a huge green digitata colony - it was a raffle I won though.

I sold this for $40 - as far as named sps frags go that’s an insane deal for a fully encrusted frag that was 2” tall. I paid 2x that for a 1” twig. There was another frag, smaller but chunkier that I also sold for 30

364E9CA8-6B8E-45F8-ACB2-F5D12F8E4AA6.jpeg

shandoee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free. Many free corals. All *easy* corals but hey it’s free. Can’t beat free. Did I mention they were free? Bubblegum digi, birdnest, sunset monti, branching cyphastrea, and a rainbow splice (jk on the splice, I wish lol)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a college with a reef tank near me. Bring anything they don’t have in their frag tanks and take anything you want home.

Went home with like 20 corals… dragon soul torch and large encrusted Walt Disney acro are two examples of what I got.

Also recently bought a piece of gulf live rock for 8 dollars because it had a beautiful red rose coral on it and those can not be collected and sold (just on live rock).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There is a college with a reef tank near me. Bring anything they don’t have in their frag tanks and take anything you want home.

Went home with like 20 corals… dragon soul torch and large encrusted Walt Disney acro are two examples of what I got.

Also recently bought a piece of gulf live rock for 8 dollars because it had a beautiful red rose coral on it and those can not be collected and sold (just on live rock).
Bob is very generous. Thats my daughters school

ARCkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lutheran College of Wisconsin?

OP
OP
MaxTremors

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a gorgeous little bubble coral at petco of all places today for $20 (was $25 but I had $5 in rewards). They also had a torch for $25, but it was kind of brownish and not very pretty, so I passed. Funny though, they were selling Kenya trees and little brown 1” toadstools for $59. I don’t usually shop there (stopped by to get some carbon and some filter floss, the closest lfs is 20 minutes away), but it was too good a deal to pass up.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a gorgeous little bubble coral at petco of all places today for $20 (was $25 but I had $5 in rewards). They also had a torch for $25, but it was kind of brownish and not very pretty, so I passed. Funny though, they were selling Kenya trees and little brown 1” toadstools for $59. I don’t usually shop there (stopped by to get some carbon and some filter floss, the closest lfs is 20 minutes away), but it was too good a deal to pass up.
One of the cool things about the PetCo closest to me is that sometimes you can get a good deal because they have no idea what they have or what they should cost. There is one PetCo about 45 minutes away from me that has a really nice coral and fish selection, but the person in charge is a hobbyist and knows his stuff. It's weird to see sps corals at PetCo and they actually look healthy.

Back