What is the best di resin?

SamAPFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently bought a different ro system for drinking, and I wanted to add a DI canister for my reef tank. would you recommend using 1 canister or 2? Also what Resin do you use? Thanks!

wphan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use the color changing one from BRS. Cheap and easy access.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO - "best" would be a 3 chamber - Cation/Anion/Mixed Bed. I use BRS Pro Series color changing resin (which coincidentally happens to be on sale today ;Jawdrop ).

OP
OP
S

SamAPFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO - "best" would be a 3 chamber - Cation/Anion/Mixed Bed. I use BRS Pro Series color changing resin (which coincidentally happens to be on sale today ;Jawdrop ).
Yeah I considered that, but I didn’t want to pay for 3 types of resin every time

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use dual chambers and get bulk color changing resin for both from Amazon. It’s used for spot free rinsing for car washes. I haven’t scientifically analyzed anything but it works great, is cheaper and looks 100% identical to the Brs stuff of which they simply repackage.

OP
OP
S

SamAPFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use dual chambers and get bulk color changing resin for both from Amazon. It’s used for spot free rinsing for car washes. I haven’t scientifically analyzed anything but it works great, is cheaper and looks 100% identical to the Brs stuff of which they simply repackage.
Could I have a link to that resin?

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m too stupid to link it but last batch I bought was ResinTech color changing. Price vary widely but you can find some cheaper than others in bigger quantities. It’s not significantly cheaper but when I ran out I needed it ASAP. Brs shipping always takes at least a week, Amazon got it to me next day.

OP
OP
S

SamAPFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m too stupid to link it but last batch I bought was ResinTech color changing. Price vary widely but you can find some cheaper than others in bigger quantities. It’s not significantly cheaper but when I ran out I needed it ASAP. Brs shipping always takes at least a week, Amazon got it to me next day.
Great, thanks!

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got a pair of pre filled cartridges there too. 35$ so I can Pre fill up all 4 and swap pairs when needed.

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just wanted to make sure you look into high pressure boosters for you RO/DI unit for overall unit performance and long term maintenance costs. It will save you in the long run.. I did the numbers already :)

Your Membrane should be good for about 3 years and your DI efficiency will depend on numerous factors. The main factor to consider is your water source contaminants, the different stages of your RO/DI unit and the overall water pressure. Look into the boosters or additional canisters to help with the longevity of the inserts.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To link something highlight the address bar and copy, either control c or right click and copy. If on a phone just hold it till it all highlighted then select copy. Next, go to where you want to link it and paste it. Either control v or right click and paste. You can also make a word or a phrase a link by highlight it and pressing control k and then paste the link into the url box. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions

OP
OP
S

SamAPFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just wanted to make sure you look into high pressure boosters for you RO/DI unit for overall unit performance and long term maintenance costs. It will save you in the long run.. I did the numbers already :)

Your Membrane should be good for about 3 years and your DI efficiency will depend on numerous factors. The main factor to consider is your water source contaminants, the different stages of your RO/DI unit and the overall water pressure. Look into the boosters or additional canisters to help with the longevity of the inserts.
So I actually am pretty stuck on this part. My water pressure is very very high in my house, but I’m not sure if the exact psi. I don’t want to put too much psi into the system if my water pressure happens to be over 100

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I considered that, but I didn’t want to pay for 3 types of resin every time
It's really only the first chamber that gets depleted quickly, the second and third last a long time if you keep up with replacing the first chamber when the color change gets close to the top. Don't think I've replaced the third chamber for 4 years now (lasts longer than the RO membrane in my case).

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huge Spectrapure fanboy here. I’ve tried lots of them. Spectrapure is not the cheapest, but I get waaaay more life than the others I‘ve tried.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back