What is the best dosing type (BRS 2-parts, ESV B-Ionic, etc) for SPS dominant tank?

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked my Trident and found that my Alk is only 6.62 and my Calcium is 456 and my Mag is 1430. Since my Alk is really low while my Calcium and Mag are both high, I decided to not use my Georeef Calcium reactor and try dosing instead to bring up the Alk and able to control each parts individually.
So for those with successful sps tank who use dosing, which type do you use? Do you use BRS 2 parts, ESV B-Ionic, Aquaforest 1,2,3 or other types? Thanks.

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used the B-ionic for while but got expensive and switched to bulkreef supply and will never go back. It is so much cheaper and mixing is as easy as making lemon aide lol. Trust me you will love it.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I’ve read esv 2 part raises salinity in high doses. I use only 20ML a day for my lps 60g. I am wondering how the sps reefers do it as well.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously used Bionic and switched over to Seachem Fusion 2 part. The Seachem works great and requires less dosing.

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I’ve read esv 2 part raises salinity in high doses. I use only 20ML a day for my lps 60g. I am wondering how the sps reefers do it as well.
All "2 part-s" raise salinity. But what's worse non-baling 2-parts also create an ionic disbalance (proportions of seawater chemicals change).
To fix ionic disbalance there is Balling method: (2 part + stuff, when 2 part breaks down and ca and alk is removed/consumed you are left with normal sea salt - tank gets simply a little bit more salty).

cheras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS made a video on 2-part dosing costs. You can watch it here.

I dose 22 ML a day with ESV B-Ionic. I've never had any problems with it. I know BRS 2 part is cheaper but I don't want to have to mix it more often than ESV since it requires more MLs a day.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV is more concentrated than BRS 2 part. So a little goes a long way.

But I am myself switched from ESV to a Calcium Reactor this past December, and it has been keeping my numbers steady.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, what you didn’t set up is the best. Nothing better than a CaRx running 24/7, once tuned right. You need to adjust a certain component, then simply adjust. For example, I have to add alk because of other processes in my tank, so I just add straight baking soda.

OP
OP
C

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably go back to my calcium reactor after I get my Alk to optimal level. In the mean time, I need to resort to dosing to bring my Alk level up a bit.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably go back to my calcium reactor after I get my Alk to optimal level. In the mean time, I need to resort to dosing to bring my Alk level up a bit.
You can keep your CaRX online and dose to bring you levels back up. Then check in 2 days to see if you alk is stable.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6.68 isn't low, just add straight baking soda. Are you over thinking it?

OP
OP
C

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Alk is up to 7.08 now after manually add in the Alk portion of Aquaforest 1,2,3 regiment. Trying to set up the Kamoer F4 Pro for dosing now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back