What is the best LED lighting for a 2'x4' 150gal tank.....its a tall tank

getairfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im trying not to have to sell my first born to facilitate lights for my saltwater tank. i was told 2 radion xr 15's will not reach the floor of the tank and 2 of the xr30 will cost me $1700. what are good alternatives? im an lps fan and may do a few sps but for the most part it will be torches,hammers,frogspan,blastos etc. if i bought a reefbreeder light can i do 1 32"or do i need to get the 48? what lights are made to reach the bottom on a 150. thank you any and all advice.
a little back round on me and tank......ive been out of the hobby for 7yrs. ive only run t-5 lights before. i just bought a whole reef tank set up. the tank has been running for 10 yrs with t-5s but the tank didnt house very many corals. i moved EVERYTHING....tank, stand, water, rock,fish, sump....everything. its up and running and all is going very well. all tests are right on the $$ and fish are happy and eating. i have an led that i picked up on craigslist but it doesnt have a brand name on it. the guy i bought it from said he broke the remote that came with it and part of the manual controls dont seem to be working so im kind of in the dark with it but it will get me bye till i can get some descent new lighting. I just cant bring myself to spending outrageous $$ for lights.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best starting point is your budget. budget Option would be Noopsyche, Viperspectre or Ocean Revive. T5 would definitely get the job done.

OP
OP
getairfx

getairfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im attempting to enter the LED age...lol. my budget is 800

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went back to the future, maybe full circle.
In the 90' MH.
2015 led, 2018 T5's 2020 now back to MH.
Should habe just stayed with MH, lol.
For 800 you could get 2 250 lumen bright fixtures, m80 ballasts and 14 k bulbs.
Did I mention back to the future, lol.

OP
OP
getairfx

getairfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have T5's run them.
50% b+ and c+ they will grow anything. Black boxes for leds will also grow anything.
Or use both black box and T5's.
i have a no name led on it ....the t-5 lights only had 4 of the 6 bulbs working. something was wrong with it....all new bulbs
only 4 worked and it was very rusty. i redid the inside of the canopy and have the led in it

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a no name led on it ....the t-5 lights only had 4 of the 6 bulbs working. something was wrong with it....all new bulbs
only 4 worked and it was very rusty. i redid the inside of the canopy and have the led in it
Yea I just retired my very rusty T5 unit. It was used and sat 4" off the surface. Still works and grew corals for 14 months very well.
Tanks rocking MH's now and growth and color are looking good 1 month in.
I ran the mars aqua BB led, still have it, and it worked well.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my friends run g4 radions and you may be able to get used ones that fit your budget since the g5's are out.
I almost went that route but I had the halides and prefer the look anyway.

OP
OP
getairfx

getairfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update.......i pulled the trigger and went with redsea 90's. it was $700 for 2 of em with the trays....made my own slide tracks for them to sit in. I love em.....easy to program on my phone.....strong lights with an awesome shimmer. thanks for all the help

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back