What is the best Macro Algae for Refugium & Why!!?

BEST Macro Algae for Refugium & Why!?

• Chaeto

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • Fern Caulerpa

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Caulerpa Mexicana

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Caulerpa Prolifera

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Grape Caulerpa

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Ulva

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Halimeda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Gracilaria

Votes: 7 12.7%

• Total voters

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R,

Let’s hear what you all think! My personal vote goes for Fern Caulerpa!!

My reason for FERN is because it grows the fastest in my refugium and reduces phosphate & nitrate quickly!

Let’s hear what you think!?

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto grew great for me. It’s the only one I tried though. Some Ulva also started to grow (must have come in on a frag), but never took off. The tangs liked it though.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Grape Caulerpa. It grows like a weed, fast. Constantly harvesting it.

When I got my Blonde Naso he wouldn't eat. He ate Grape Caulerpa though. I named him Noodles because he sucked it down like a kid eating spaghetti. He now eats anything but it took about a month.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like if i had to pick only one itd be chaeto. Its nearly a complete biome itself with how it catches detritus and homes pods. But i also have fern caulerpa and one other species i havent identified. The unidentified one grows together in super dense mats with the chaeto. The fern i just have cause i like how it looks haha

Ulva never took off for me, but did look nice for a few days. I also had red ogo but the unidentified one surrounded it and out competed it.

Picture of unidentified algae, if any of you know what it is please let me know haha
20220124_004002.jpg

Last edited:

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had good success in the display and funeral with calupra mexi. Never got out of control to where I couldn't control it and never went sexual like everyone said.
Also had really good success with red geometric algae. It was flame or dragons breath but was a red algae. Grew thick and in bright light. All the way to the surface and than spread or fan out. Lol.
D

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly any can remove nutrients, but I like Chaeto because there is little risk of it finding its way into the display and it's pretty easy to remove if it does.

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
caulerpa. in my experience with prolifera, it didn't go sexual due to lack of nutrients, rather a parameter swing. Although there is this risk, they grow super fast, super affective, looks nice IMO, and is green.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like if i had to pick only one itd be chaeto. Its nearly a complete biome itself with how it catches detritus and homes pods. But i also have fern caulerpa and one other species i havent identified. The unidentified one grows together in super dense mats with the chaeto. The fern i just have cause i like how it looks haha

Ulva never took off for me, but did look nice for a few days. I also had red ogo but the unidentified one surrounded it and out competed it.

Picture of unidentified algae, if any of you know what it is please let me know haha
20220124_004002.jpg
Not sir what it is but I want it in my fuge!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back