What is the best option for a Blenny?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of incorporating at least one (if not more than one) Blenny into my tank, but I’m not sure which one / s to go with. Can they be kept safely with other smaller fish especially Gobies and Hawkfish?

I am looking at Meiacanthus, Ecsenius, and Salarias. My tank’s going to be peaceful but even then I want to add my Blenny fairly early. Not a fan of the Tail Spot as it’s a bit too small for my liking, easily gets lost in a 6’ 180.

1. Midas

2. Bicolor

3. Lawnmower

4. Starry Lawnmower

5. Linear

6. Yellow Tail Fang

Etc.

Which ones are the easiest to keep?
I have a tailspot and starry. 75gals.

Tailspot has a fixed home in a shell, mostly covered by plating sponge. He is the tank comedian with that face. Has to back into his hidey hole.

Starry hangs on the rocks where he wants. Whacks (nips) my hand, surprise, when I place or correct something in the tank.

I'd say why not both, if the tailspot hosts something portable, move him front and center. The starry is a roamer, and a good algae eater.

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas blenny has my vote. I have not had any of the others but the color change, the cool perching, swimming mid column, eel like swimming, easy to care for, lots of personality. Lots of wins.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good! I’m a bit hesitant about the Midas Blenny as I plan to keep some dartfish and heard Midas Blennies will nip at them. Beautiful fish and I would love to try one someday.

The Bicolor is frequently available where I am.

I’m worried a Starry / Lawnmower will starve in a new tank.

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a starry blenny my self and i can say he has the biggest personality in my tank, but he doesnt like fish who share the same food/housing requirements. When i introduced my cherub angel he was bullying her hard at first and now hes kind of stopped. She doesnt go near his cave area he lives in and he doesnt bother her. I suggest if you get the starry blenny you introduce it last.

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend a molly miller blennie. they're small, max length is 3" but you can put in several, depending on tank size. They are great for all kinds of pests in a reef tank, Aptasia, cyano, detrius form the sand bed and rockwork. I've seen mine eat all the above. they're pretty hardy and are not picky eaters at all. It's actually so ugly its cute, but overall an excellent clean up crew fish.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Blennies and Gobies. I have a 6' 140g with the following Blennies and Gobies;
Bicolor
Striped(M. grammistes)
Smith's(M. smithii)
Harptail(M. mossambicus)
Kamohara(M. kamoharai)
Green Canary(M. tongaensis)
All of the above are Captive Bred except the Canary and he is the bossiest of them all but still not a problem.
Have a couple Gobies in there as well;
YWG & Tiger Shrimp
Sleeper Blue Dot goby.
I also have three Jawfish and it's a fascinating tank to watch, lot's of activity going on with all the smallish fish to watch. If you can get your hands on CB Blennies you can add a better mix, they seem to be less aggressive/territorial than wild caught.

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good! I’m a bit hesitant about the Midas Blenny as I plan to keep some dartfish and heard Midas Blennies will nip at them. Beautiful fish and I would love to try one someday.

The Bicolor is frequently available where I am.

I’m worried a Starry / Lawnmower will starve in a new tank.
I do have a firefish in my tank and have not had any issues but your mileage may vary....

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, I plan to add a Benny to my 40B. Had planned on a bicolor but those starry blennies look super cool..

lesterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of incorporating at least one (if not more than one) Blenny into my tank, but I’m not sure which one / s to go with. Can they be kept safely with other smaller fish especially Gobies and Hawkfish?

I am looking at Meiacanthus, Ecsenius, and Salarias. My tank’s going to be peaceful but even then I want to add my Blenny fairly early. Not a fan of the Tail Spot as it’s a bit too small for my liking, easily gets lost in a 6’ 180.

1. Midas

2. Bicolor

3. Lawnmower

4. Starry Lawnmower

5. Linear

6. Yellow Tail Fang

Etc.

Which ones are the easiest to keep?
My bi color acclamated very easily. Lots of character, very hardy. He was with the first batch of 3 fish to my tank (2 firefish gobies). Since then he's accepted new fish, not afraid, just curious without aggression. Definitly a fav of mine.

lesterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bi color acclamated very easily. Lots of character, very hardy. He was with the first batch of 3 fish to my tank (2 firefish gobies). Since then he's accepted new fish, not afraid, just curious without aggression. Definitly a fav of mine.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the genus Salarias I heard Starry Blennies are easier to feed and keep than the Lawnmower?

I am thinking:

x1 Midas

x1 Bicolor

x1 Lawnmower / Starry
Anecdotal evidence here, but I have had 3 lawnmower blennies which each lasted 6 mo - 1 year, but my starry blennie is going 2y strong. He has tons of personality and follows me around the tank

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m late to the party,
BUT
I have a starry, And originally I thought he was a shy guy.
I just added a Midas yesterday (90g cube)
And the starry was NOT happy about sharing the same rock with the Midas. The Midas is currently in the top corner of the tank perching, he’s got a leopard type pattern coloring (probably a stress coloration) but I’m hoping they find peace and happiness. There is definitely enough space for the both of them.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back