What is the BEST purchase you have made for your reef?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to choose just 1, it would be between my AWC and my roller mat. I want ultra low maintenance...and not manually moving H2O wins.

golgobot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was all my apex gear. When it works like it’s supposed to it’s a game changer. Trident right on the top.
And when it doesn’t work, it’s depressing as hell. On my Apex, only the temperature probe works. And my trident was broken out of the box; leaked reagent everywhere.

NC Jim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roller filter like a Clarisea or Klir. I hate socks and the ability to heavy in heavy out with minimal impact on water clarity and quality makes it so valuable. Plus 50 micron vs 200 micron reduction of particulates with a filter sock is pretty large. When I decided to get back into things and started doing research I was so excited by auto filtration.

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO for sure!

My main tank came with a gravity fed ATO stock. So, I always had one.
I recently picked up a Nano tank and it did NOT have an ATO. Took me about 2 weeks to realize how important it was to me and for me to buy one. HUGE quality of life bump. I also recently set up a frag tank and an ATO is going to be my first "extra" equipment to pick up.

For my main tank (since it already had an ATO) so stellar equipment was my

Controller (I went with Hydros)
Dosing pump (one fewer things to do daily!)
Quality testing equipment like my Hanna salinity checker
1-10mL adjustable Pipette to have higher accuracy on said tests (and faster)
Media cups to replace socks

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer way oversized for my tank. My skimmer is rated at like 300 gallons for heavy bio-load and we have a 180G tank. It allows me to over feed our tank and keep the tang aggression down, along with every one else being fat and happy without having massive nitrate spikes or having to do constant water changes.

After that it was good lights. I ran some cheap knock off lights for awhile and didn't realize the issues those could cause even if you didn't have a coral heavy tank. Equal to that would be the UV sterilizer we run now.

GHogg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer way oversized for my tank. My skimmer is rated at like 300 gallons for heavy bio-load and we have a 180G tank. It allows me to over feed our tank and keep the tang aggression down, along with every one else being fat and happy without having massive nitrate spikes or having to do constant water changes.

After that it was good lights. I ran some cheap knock off lights for awhile and didn't realize the issues those could cause even if you didn't have a coral heavy tank. Equal to that would be the UV sterilizer we run now.
What lights did you end up going with?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't narrow it down to any ONE purchase:
Apex to control 2 tanks, Vortech MPs on both tanks, Kessil 360wes both tanks & my BRS RODI unit. All have worked flawlessly and are easily maintained.

Attachments

• RODI.jpg
    RODI.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7626.jpg
    IMG_7626.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6384.JPG
    IMG_6384.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 33

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back