What is the BEST purchase you have made for your reef?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down the best piece of equipment for me has been a CO2 scrubber. Can't imagine ever running another reef tank without it and for the life of me can't understand why this piece of equipment is not part of the "essential" must have gear.
IMG_0870 (1).JPG

Not essential because it just really is not something that many(maybe most) reef tanks would benefit from. In a scenario where it is needed it can work wonders (though expensive replacement media), but unless people have PH issues it is really wasted money in my opinion. Personally my PH is fine with my skimmer airline ran to outside air.

reeferZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it has been the Trident. Im only a few weeks in, but the stability its given me my tank is incredible. I can already see a difference in my sps and things seem to be encrusting even faster.

chandavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t laugh......18” bulb baster
Spot feed coral/nems
Blow junk off stuff
Get stuff to stick for removal
Use to reposition small stuff
......just a great tool.....

( my second choice reefer Ken )

2ED8E520-DF1E-41B9-92F3-BDF90650C35D.jpeg

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely not my favorite purchase but one thing I absolutely cannot live without is my ATO. I can sacrifice on a lot of things with my tank but an ATO is not one of them. My favorite purchase is a tie between my Apex and Nero 3

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down the best piece of equipment for me has been a CO2 scrubber. Can't imagine ever running another reef tank without it and for the life of me can't understand why this piece of equipment is not part of the "essential" must have gear.
IMG_0870 (1).JPG

Huh? Biggest gimmick in the hobby, unless you live in a sealed box with a family of people.

Expensive replacement media also

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bigger tank! I’m an old rc plane guy and bigger always flew better, same with reefing in my opinion now. Everything is just way more stable except for evaporation. I recently added an ato for my ato reservoir and that is the bees knees!

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh? Biggest gimmick in the hobby, unless you live in a sealed box with a family of people.

Expensive replacement media also
We all have a right to our opinions and ill share mine. My tank is just better since adding a CO2 Scrubber.... prior to this i was in the camp of dont chase PH.... now im in the camp of CHASE PH!!! Lol. My tank growth, colors, pe are just better with higher PH. Im coming to this conclusion after using CO2 scrubber for nearly 8 months... much like @tippin.turtle, i wont run a tank without it. FYi running an airline outside of my home isnt an option either. Prior to the scrubber my PH was 7.9 -8.1, after the scrubber my PH is 8.2 - 8.5.....there is a difference folks. Here is a video from ACI Aquaculture talking about chasing PH.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down the best thing I ever bought, that was a game changer was my tunze ato. I did it manually for many years.

Given my tank is only new and I'm still buying bits and pieces what feels like all the time trying to find my way,
but I read this comment and thought F that! I happened to get a cheapish ATO very quickly, probably within days of setting up my tank after realising I'd have to be constantly topping it off (something I didn't quite understand/realise initially). Even with the ATO I feel like I'm constantly filling up the ATO chamber (It's probably 1-2 times a week in reality) but I think this is something I appreciate most so far.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Milwaukee digital salinity meter. The easiest and cleanest way to get reliable salinity reading. I would not be doing regular water changed without this thing.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater controller and 5 stage RoDi with TDS meter

MasonK24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% my RODI, when i started this hobby i would cram as many 5 gal buckets as i could in my honda civic and go to the LFS to buy RODI. Then drive real slow on the way home LOL

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t laugh......18” bulb baster
Spot feed coral/nems
Blow junk off stuff
Get stuff to stick for removal
Use to reposition small stuff
......just a great tool.....

( my second choice reefer Ken )

2ED8E520-DF1E-41B9-92F3-BDF90650C35D.jpeg
Oh yeah, those. I couldn't run my tank without 20 or 50 of them. ;Smuggrin

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back