What is the Best Rock That is Pest Free?

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a new 125 G tank. I am ready to cure and cycle rock but I dont want any pests. I have decided against any type of dry or wet rock. What is the best rock for a long term pest free tank? Reef saver???

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as pest free, any dry rock will work. What is best depends on your intentions with aquascape. Some scapes require rock of a certain shape. But if you are fine with globular rock, reef saver is good. The thing to Be aware of is that it is easy to introduce pests with new corals.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little confused. If you don’t have dry rock or wet rock. What type of rock is left. Did you want artificial man made rock. There are a few retailers who will custom make rocks to fit your tank and design needs. Is that what your looking for. Can get you the website. But they are expensive

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus as @PatW stated. Unless you have a separate qt tank for corals. Your much more likely to introduce pest from corals than rocks. Especially the types of pest that harm corals.
But basically anything dry you put into your tank is safe from pest. Anything wet can have pest

so anything dry is safe

OP
OP
MarsWulf5

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moo
Little confused. If you don’t have dry rock or wet rock. What type of rock is left. Did you want artificial man made rock. There are a few retailers who will custom make rocks to fit your tank and design needs. Is that what your looking for. Can get you the website. But they are expensive

I meant to say live rock or dry rock. Sorry for the typo. I am interested in checking out the links to fit my design needs.

As of right now I'm thinking reefsaver, I know thats stackable but I've not made a final decision.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moo

I meant to say live rock or dry rock. Sorry for the typo. I am interested in checking out the links to fit my design needs.

As of right now I'm thinking reefsaver, I know thats stackable but I've not made a final decision.
Totally ok.
My friend has a tank made from this guy. Looks really nice He does use marine pure blocks in his sump since this stuff isn’t proous

Ken logan

Elite reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drills nicely 1/4 inch holes fiberglass rods. Wouldn’t recommend going 3 piece higher with 1/4 rods.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CaribSea Life rock is what I used
IMG_1174-L.jpg

IMG_1175-L.jpg

Then I got some more
2019_08_12_0282-XL.jpg

OP
OP
MarsWulf5

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input everybody! I was thinking Pukani for a minute, but its not available to buy, I was gonna go Real Reef - beautiful rocks and instant color - but the Reef Saver ultimately won me over for a couple reasons:
1) It's just easier to cure, no acid, no bleach, just saltwater
2) Once cured and not leeching much phosphate I can cycle the rock with my tank.
3) STACKABILITY: How Reef Saver stacks and puzzles together was a huge plus. Not needing to drill and add tubing in most cases is a huge benefit.
4) Availablity of piece size and shape: pre-sawed flat pieces in 3 different sizes from BRS to use as foundation stones, small rubble to fill in gaps, and shelf rock.
5) Price: I ordered about 140lbs of rock for my 125g to be sure I can create the height and intricacies of the type of aquascape that I'm imagining.

Thanks everyone for your awesome ideas and input! Lots of fantasfic ideas and you guys and gals have some beautiful tanks! I'm excited to get the rock in and see what I can build with it! Also interested in watching as this rocks evolve and really come to life in my tank over the years to come.

I will be posting pics of the rocks and some aquascape ideas when they come - and then pictures of my reef as it evolves and grows.

I really like this forum, lots of very cool, smart, and helpful people. Thanks everybody!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back